Spaghetti squash question

• I made spaghetti squash a few days ago (thanks for the tip, Robin!) and was wondering about the texture. My "noodles" were crisp-tender. Is that the texture of squash or do I need to cook longer? Since I've never had it before I wasn't sure. I really liked the idea and the flavor was fine. But, if that is the texture it's supposed to be that is going to take a little getting used to...

Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • Mine are kind of crunchy too, but I'd like to hear so if someone gets it really soft? MMMM, now I'm in the mood for some spaghetti squash, thinking about growing some in my garden this spring.
  • Mine is soft when I cook it, not crispy. I think it's supposed to be soft. At least that's how I prefer it. I did undercook it one time and did not care for it as much as when it was softer. It wasn't as "spaghetti" like. Since it's cut in half when you cook it, you can actually take off a strand or 2 and taste it to see if it's done enough to your liking and then adjust accordingly.
  • Mine is always a little bit crunchy as well. I tried cooking it longer last time I made it to see if that helped (I microwaved it for about 7 minutes longer than usual), but it was still the same.
  • I prefer mine cooked until soft, without any crunch. I slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, poke it with a fork, and place it cut side down in a roasting pan. I add about an inch of water and cover, then roast until done.
  • The first time I made spaghetti squash I roasted it in the oven and it was soft. The second time I made it in the microwave and it was still crunchy. I put it back in the microwave after a few bites until it got soft. When I cooked the other half I let it microwave a LOT more than the first one. Made all the difference. It still takes awhile, even in the microwave, but I think I like it roasted in the oven better.
  • I ask my family whether they want their squash crunchy-soft, or just plain soft. The first takes 20 mins. in the microwave, the second takes closer to 45 minutes. If I'm already using the oven for something else, 30 minutes barely cooks spaghetti squash, a whole hour gets it soft enough to pass for thoroughly cooked.
  • Same here, I bake mine upside down in water in the regular oven and it is not crunchy.
  • I prefer mine soft, so I cook it in the oven for that. When I've microwaved it, it was too crunch for my tastes. It caramelizes some in the oven, and I prefer that to the microwaved texture.
  • cook it longer, cut in half, put meat side down in pan of water bring to boil and cook 30 minutes.......yummy
  • I did mine upside down in water in the over for about 40 minutes. I'll just cook longer. I'm so glad to know that it will get soft! Thanks all!
  • I cooked it in the oven upside down, but now water. Good to know. Mine was crunchy too. Will try again.