kind of a dumb question...but im curious

• SO, i like to eat apples, but they are big, so i never finish the whole thing. Usually i eat around the apple and eat all the skin/peel and then im done.
    But i was wondering, which is "better" for you, the apple skin, or the "inside." Kind of a dumb question, i know the whole apple is "good" for you, but like, which should i eat?? If i have to choose one or the other?? Or are they equally "good" for you??
    Thanks
  • IF ... you could only have the "inside" of the apple OR the apple skin, I'd go for the skin.

But why bother when the whole darn apple is so good? (BTW, my favorite apple is Golden Delicious.... yum, yum, YUM!)
  • Go for the skin as it's more fiber based.
  • I think the skin has more vitamins and fiber...but I don't think it makes much of a difference either way, both are good!
  • Kinda like a potato where all the nutrients are in the skin?

Why not cut one in half and eat one half one time and the other half next time? Douse a little lemon juice on it and it'll stay fresh.
  • or buy smaller apples!
  • The skin has more nutrients. If I were you I would by small apples. Also, you save money becuase you can get more apples per pound that way, and less waste.
  • I almost never eat a whole apple, unless it's small. I cut one in half and put some Press 'n' Seal wrap over the leftover half and refrigerate it. Good for a few days, doesn't turn brown.

Jay
  • I actually LOVE apples. Red Delicious or Granny Smith are the only two I eat though. But I can't stand them in bags. They're not all so juicy and ripe, and there's always several bad ones I end up throwing out. So I go the expense and buy them individually. I like them large, bright red, and without a ding on them. And I can eat the entire thing. They've kinda taken the place of my candy cravings. I love the sweetness.
  • Quote: I almost never eat a whole apple, unless it's small. I cut one in half and put some Press 'n' Seal wrap over the leftover half and refrigerate it. Good for a few days, doesn't turn brown.

Jay
    I never thought of that. I recently started buying Jonagolds, which are massive, and I can't eat the entire thing.
  • I normally get macs. I LOVE macs. And I live in new england so our apples are DELICIOUS (at least in the fall...in the off season I have to get gross mealy apples from other parts of the world...bleh). I eat close to two apples a day.

From what I know, the healthiest part is the skin, definitely. So opt for skin! Apples are fantastic.
  • In most stores, the apples that you choose and put in plastic bags yourself, are much larger than the ones that you buy in a 3 or 5 pound bag. The prebagged ones are perfect sized.
  • Quote: In most stores, the apples that you choose and put in plastic bags yourself, are much larger than the ones that you buy in a 3 or 5 pound bag. The prebagged ones are perfect sized.
    Definately! That's one reason I don't do pre-bagged. I like to pick out the nice, firm, juicy, HUGE apples.
  • I love the prebagged ones for my daughter, they are perfect kid size portions and little waste!