Your favorite lean proteins?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • My protein comes from cottage cheese, yogurt, beans and grilled chicken breasts. I cant stand eggs or any kind of seafood.
  • The only problem I really see with the veggie burgers is soidium. I love them but I am trying to be concious of my sodium intake. But I agree that every now and then is not bad....
  • I'm also a big fan of the Morningstar Farms burgers and chicken pattis, black bean burgers and pretty much everything they make. I think one of my favorite proteins lately is egg beaters. At 30 calories for 1/4 cup (1 egg) it's hard to beat. I nuke it with just about anything. Mix it with leftover broccoli or spinach with a touch of cheese for flavor. Or have it with a piece of whole grain toast. Yummm
  • Quote: WOW!! SO many more ideas than I even had hoped for.
    1 question..How healthy do you think the frozen veggie burgers are...I love them but am afraid they kind of fit into that "to be avoided" group of processed foods...
    Check calorie info, though. Some of the Morningstar Farms veggie burgers are over 150 calories (some 170, such as the Prime) whereas the Boca burgers are only 70 calories each. The Boca Original Vegan is my favorite. 70 calories. Morningstar Farms Prime is 170 and the Fajita burgers are 130.

Boca is better on calories. If you're a calorie snob like I am, that is.
  • Quote: Boca is better on calories. If you're a calorie snob like I am, that is.
    I'm a calorie snob at times as well, but I think the MornigStar Farms burgers are much tastier (this is absolutely just my personal opinion--or, at least a suggestion to make sure you try multiple varieties before passing judgement). I microwaved one of the vegan burgers once at work, and I swear it smelled like I was cooking catfood. Other people in the office even commented on it
  • Quote: I'm a calorie snob at times as well, but I think the MornigStar Farms burgers are much tastier (this is absolutely just my personal opinion--or, at least a suggestion to make sure you try multiple varieties before passing judgement). I microwaved one of the vegan burgers once at work, and I swear it smelled like I was cooking catfood. Other people in the office even commented on it
    I don't usually microwave them, I 'fry' them in a nonstick pan sprayed with Pam. Firms and crunchies them up a little bit. Microwaving them makes them mushie.

Now I *DO* so love the Morningstar Farms "chicken" patties. Those are so wonderful. Crisp them up in the toaster oven and you feel like you're eating a deep-fried chicken sandwich!
  • Oh the prime grillers are the only thing that will satisfy a "real" hamburger craving. SO good..Like the real thing..But I dont feel as guilty. ANd the Parmesan ranch chiks are awesome...
    And the corn dogs...Ahhh..heaven..
    Why oh why must they be high in sodium???
  • Quote: Why oh why must they be high in sodium???
    But if it's the only thing that's really high in sodium that you eat in a day, it's not so bad. "They" recommend 2400mg or less daily, and if you're not getting a lot of sodium elsewhere, I'm sure you're still well within that range. I often have frozen meals (Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, or SmartOnes) for lunch and am still able to come in below 2400mg, often still below 2000.
  • Quote: Oh the prime grillers are the only thing that will satisfy a "real" hamburger craving. SO good..Like the real thing..But I dont feel as guilty. ANd the Parmesan ranch chiks are awesome...
    And the corn dogs...Ahhh..heaven..
    Why oh why must they be high in sodium???
    It's funny, I haven't been able to bring myself to buy the corn dogs yet. We don't have the "whole" corn dogs here, just the mini ones. And they're 170 calories in only 4 pieces.

That and I bought the Morningstar Farms hot dogs once. Took one bite and I spit that bite out into the trash along with the rest of the package.
  • For example, the Morningstar Farms Veggie Bites - they're 180 calories in only 3 pieces. Thanks, but no thanks. I can eat a whole serving of tater tots for less than that.

I also stay away from the "organic" Morningstar Farms and Boca products because the organic burgers have more calories than the regular kind. Which doesn't make a lick of sense to me.
  • I personally can't stand soy burgers. I find them disgusting What I do like is veggie/california burgers. I found some at costco the other day. They have 140 calories per patty, 5 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber. They are really good
  • The biggest problem with some of the veggie burgers is sodium. Some have more than others. Some are more processed than others
  • I do enjoy most of the Morningstar products but as I’m trying to eat the more “whole foods” way I’m limiting my intake of frozen convenience foods. Beans, beans, whole grains, and more beans I say I think people forget about the protein in whole grains, quinoa in particular has a nice balance of protein/complex carbs. I like to rotate for variety, but chick peas, black beans, cannelini, and a variety of lentils seem to be the main ones always in my cupboard. And I also use tofu and seitan quite a bit.
  • While I like most of the Morning Star Farms products, they are not necessarily low in fat. Sure, you're getting protein without eating meat, but the fat content makes me keep the portions rather small (and I still feel guilty about it!).
  • The veggie burgers I buy don't have too much sodium (250 mg).

Here are their ingredients: (although I think this is a slightly different formula than the one I bought)

Carrot, Onion, Stringbeans, Soybeans, Zucchini, Oat Bran, Peas, Spinach, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Broccoli, Textured Soy Flour, Corn, Oat Fiber, Red Pepper, Arrowroot, Corn Meal, Corn Starch, Garlic, Salt, Parsley, Black Pepper, All Natural Vegetable Gum