What do you eat with Insulin Resistance?

• I'm just curious about what all different doctors suggest PCOSers eat these days. My general practitioner suggest low carb to me, but the nutritionist within the practice says NO, to definitely eat more balanced. She totally suggests eating by glycemic load - which is much more friendly than glycemic index. I think glycemic load is much more accurate than glycemic index, and it was nice to have somebody know what it was.

Anybody else have glycemic load suggested to them?
  • I'm interested in seeing this too, But I don't have IR.
  • Hi,

I, too, have IR and I am doing South Beach. South Beach isn't low-carb or no-carb...it is definitely balanced. I think a lot of people think that it is low-carb because of Phase 1 which is the first two weeks that help you to detox off sugar.

After those two weeks you can begin incorporating healthy carbs like whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, whole wheat or multigrain pasta, etc. back in.

I am also on metformin that helps my body handle the insulin better. I did weight watchers for a couple of months and did lose weight...but didn't feel very good. I am still going to weight watcher meetings and following core pretty much.

I hope this helps :-)
  • One of my doctors also suggested I try low or lower carb. So I read the book "The Low Carb Bible," which overviewed reduced carb diets (the book included Atkins, Sugarbusters, Carb Addicts, South Beach and others). I was already familiar with WW Core (which is somewhat similar to South Beach), and then a neighbor gave me the South Beach diet book just a few days ago.

Personally, I am limiting carbs to around 100 -150 grams per day, and I try to eliminate all of my trigger carbs (high glycemic and refined carbs). The food lists for WW Core, and South Beach helped me a lot in determining what kind of carbs to eat. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and I don't eat or eat rarely things like potatoes, corn, white rice, white bread, sugar.... I eat fruit, but try not to eat more than 3 servings a day.

As I read the South Beach diet, I'm heading more in it's direction, but I think I will always have to watch even "good" carbs. I don't think I could have stuck to the induction phase, so I'm happy that I started a little less restrictive. I have to say that I am really impressed with how the South Beach style of eating (phase 2) really controls hunger. I would have never guessed that I could lose weight and not feel starved.
  • As a full-fledged Diabetic, I recommend balanced carb intake and definitely feel that glycemic load is the way to go . . . it is a natural offshoot from the glycemic index of course, just brings things more into the real world.

The old GI tables gave things like carrots a bad rap because they did not take into consideration that most people do not eat 1.5 pounds of carrots at a sitting. The GL considers the amount of carb generally considered to be a serving rather than just the basic GI which is based on a predefined amount of digestible carb. I'd suggest that you might want to read the latest edition of The New Glucose Revolution which does an excellent job of putting the difference into perspective. It's available from Amazon (using the 3FC link of course).

From point of view of an actual plan . . . IMHO both Atkins and South Beach are a little too restrictive in their induction phases . . . but after that they both . . . and Sugar Busters . . . (in fact most controlled carb plans) stress "good" carbs and are perfectly fine for anybody with an 'insulin-resistance-related' problem
  • My Dr recommended South Beach to me but I've been doing Weight Watchers and just trying to eat less carbs. I also started taking Metformin and constantly feel low blood sugar effects unless I eat a piece of fruit a few times a day. So I'm still confused I think I need to see a dietitian.
  • Carrie, the WW Core program is very similar to South Beach (except with Core you're allowed the extra points to splurge on anything you'd like). When I first transitioned from points to core, I was eating from Core foods, but still counting points (to make sure I didn't overeat, as I have a real hard time monitoring my hunger as Core requires. I seem to be doing ok now, but if I stop losing, I will go back to counting points).
  • I've found an emphasis on "whole" foods has also helped steer me towards IR-friendly foods. For instance, broccoli is a "whole" food, crackers aren't; whole-grain flour is closer to a "whole" food than white flour is.

My plan is an eclectic combination of GI/GL, whole or close-to-whole foods, along with modified SB (basically taking my "hmmm, what could I eat" cues from what's allowed for SBD phase 1 and phase 2) along with reducing carbs to 1/3-3/7 of my overall calories per day. FitDay's a big help on the last thing because I can cope with a pie chart a lot easier than I can a column of numbers.
  • What to eat with Insulin Resistance
    Jennifer
    I was diagnosed with insulin resistance two years ago in November. My doctor recommended the South Beach Diet. It worked VERY well for me and I lost a lot of weight and my sugar levels were much better. I am also on Metformin which helps to maintain the levels as well.
    I would recommend it. The first two weeks are tough b/c it's the "detox phase" but after that you really eat some great, healthy food. It's a healthy "diet" that you can use the rest of your life.
    Hope this helps!
  • also IR
    I also am IR and what has worked for me is following the eating plan in a book called "THe Insulin Resistance Diet" I lost alot of weight on it the 1st time I did it and then did a major slip up and quit eating the way I should and now am back on following the plan and it has been working well for me. I also take into account the glycemic index of the different foods I eat but not to the extreme. FOllowing this plan lowered my blood glucose so that in the beginning I was borderline Diabetic II and now I am on the low end of normal in my blood glucose readings. Good luck to everyone, it is a struggle but in the end it will be worth it! At least that is what I keep telling myself
  • Quote: I also am IR and what has worked for me is following the eating plan in a book called "THe Insulin Resistance Diet" I lost alot of weight on it the 1st time I did it and then did a major slip up and quit eating the way I should and now am back on following the plan and it has been working well for me. I also take into account the glycemic index of the different foods I eat but not to the extreme. FOllowing this plan lowered my blood glucose so that in the beginning I was borderline Diabetic II and now I am on the low end of normal in my blood glucose readings. Good luck to everyone, it is a struggle but in the end it will be worth it! At least that is what I keep telling myself
    I also have insulin resistance and had gestational diabetes when pregnant. I am so afraid of ending up with type 2 diabetes but am trying to get my control. I tried the insulin resistance diet for a short time and didn't lose hardly any weight so now I am wondering where I went wrong. In the past I have done South Beach and Weight Watchers. I like South Beach but always seem to mess up once I reach phase 2. I am currently back on the weight watchers flex program but might give the core program a try.
    Judy
  • Well I have insulin resistance and when I was diagnosed last year, my doctor recommended the Zone diet (40-30-30). I have to say, i feel so much better when i follow it and also have seen some weight loss.