Name a present that you love now but wouldn't have at 20

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Okay, just curious -- being 36 with two kids, there are gifts/things I purchase now and am thrilled to get that I would never have wanted to receive at 20. Example - new fridge, curtains, ironing board, etc. What would type of thing would be exciting for you now but not at 20?
  • Ha, I'm like you. I love to buy things for the house. We just bought a new fridge as a matter of fact and will be moving next week. That is what I look forward to...fixing up a new house/home.

But...I love perfume now more than I did when I was 20. I love to smell good and even if I am not going anywhere I will wear it!
  • LOL! I asked for a steam cleaner for Christmas when I was 21, a Hoover Floormate for Christmas this year at 24, a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, and more kitchen appliances/bakeware than you can shake a stick at. I think that the second I moved out of my parents house at 18 I started asking for practical presents.
  • The $$$ shuffleboard I just ordered to go on the $$$$ concrete work I had done!

MAN ~ SHUFFLEBOARD? AM I EVER GETTING OLD!
  • I remember when DH and I were first moving in together, I found a nice silverware set on sale and he bought it for me. I was so excited. Recently, DH allowed me to buy (well he says it was my valentine's gift) some Le Creuset cookware. I was very happy.

I don't think I would've appreciated either very much at the age of 20
  • 2 christmases ago I got a Garmin GPS HRM running watch. LOVE it. At 20 I would have been insulted by a workout gift. ("do you think I am FAT?")
  • I was just going to say workout gifts!!!!
  • Ha, ha...all excellent! This year I 'allowed' myself to accept the gift of expensive chocolate. I don't think I would have ever figured chocolate to be my nemisis, nor would I have ever appreciated the quality of the fine stuff at 20. And I have to say the same goes for wine. Only the occasional indulgence, and then no wasting the moment!

karwie
  • Thats a gift I wouldn't have appreciated at 20...really good bottles of wine. For the wedding, my sister threw a wine-tasting shower...so amazing! I rarely crack open a bottle now, because of the calories, but I have amassed quite a collection of nice bottles that I open when we have guests for dinner.
  • Wow; great thread, but even though I'm 50 I can't think of anything that I would like now that I wouldn't have liked at 20. I must be exactly the same.
    Oh no - wait. A CD because they didn't make them back then!
  • A new wheelbarrow.
  • Susan B -- that's exactly what I asked for for Christmas last year -- silly isn't it, I was VERY excited!! Then again, at 20 I'm not sure what I would have done with one.
  • They gave me one for Mother's Day several years ago but alas .. it cracked. I would like a new one.
    At 20 ... I probably wouldn't have touched a wheelbarrow!
  • Two words for ya: beauty bark!! HAHAHAAHA
  • This may sound strange but...I love getting gift cards as presents. When I was 20, I would have been really ticked off if someone had given me a gift certificate instead of taking the time to pick the "perfect" gift. Now, when I see that little shiny plastic card I almost jump for joy! It's an excuse to go shopping and I know that whatever I buy will be just what I always wanted!