When did you get serious?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'm just curious as to when everyone got serious about losing the weight. I started on Jan 1st (like so many others), but I really didn't get focused until Jan 22nd. So I'm counting that as my anniversary. So I'm about 6 1/2 weeks into my new healthy lifestyle.

When did you get serious about making your lifestyle change?
  • Around Nov? I think. I had made a few forays onto this site. As I've stated before, April of 2006, I started eating healthier and paying more attn to how much I moved and what I was eating, but the actual weight loss mindset didn't hit my head until November.
  • Sexy - we're so close! I count my official start day as Jan 21! Unofficially, I first found this site last summer sometime but the motivation quickly faded. NOT THIS TIME!
  • My official first recorded weigh in day was Wednesday Jan. 10th of this year.
    So it will be 8 weeks. I have been at a plateau for the last week. I weigh in today and we will see if I have lost anything.
  • Quote: Sexy - we're so close! I count my official start day as Jan 21! Unofficially, I first found this site last summer sometime but the motivation quickly faded. NOT THIS TIME!
    I agree! NOT THIS TIME!!!
  • 12/27/06. I uploaded the digital pictures from Christmas on the 26th and was horrified.
  • A day I will ALWAYS celebrate as my RE-BIRTH-DAY. September 4, 2006. The day has so much meaning to me that as I am sitting here and typing it, my eyes are filling up with tears. Very, very emotional for me. Okay, now I'm just bawling.
  • Quote: A day I will ALWAYS celebrate as my RE-BIRTH-DAY. September 4, 2006. The day has so much meaning to me that as I am sitting here and typing it, my eyes are filling up with tears. Very, very emotional for me. Okay, now I'm just bawling.
    I like that - Re-birth-day! Those better be tears of joy - you just had your 6 month anniversary!!! Congrats on your success. You are such an inspiration!
  • Aug 30th 2006, finally discovered a plan I could work with.
  • Mine had to be 2/21/07. I had spent the day trying to keep my pantyhose from rolling down on my fat stomach and as I was reading O magazine, I read about this site. I felt such a relief to have someone to go to for support, I could feel the difference. I know it isn't a long time yet, but I can't believe how good it feels to read other posts and FINALLY have people who can relate. (Not much for support/understanding at home or work)
    How cool is that!?!!

Robin - You're the best. Your emotion and feelings come through so clearly through your written word.
  • Quote: Those better be tears of joy -
    Well yes, they mostly are. My life is so much more full of joy now with soooo many less worries. I am a much happier person. But there are a few tears of sadness as well. For spending so many years being so miserable and unhappy and unhealthy when I just as easily could have had MORE years full of pleasure and happiness and activity and participation in life.

And thank you Slashnl. I sometimes think my words get all messed up when I type them. Come to think of it they get messed up sometimes when I just say them as well. I'm glad you found this place reading O magazine. For yourself first and foremost and for selfish reasons as well, you're a great member of this team.
  • After seeing some recent pics of me. I was disgusted.
  • Isn't it interesting that many of us can remember an exact day? For me it was June 1, 2001 and I get as emotional about it as you do, Robin. I was one of those who changed everything overnight, like you did, and it was truly like dying and being reborn (even though that sounds overly dramatic.)

I'll always remember May 12, 2002 too.
  • Round about late Aug. 2004. I don't have an exact date. Just a two week range.
  • Quote: I'll always remember May 12, 2002 too.
    Meg, what was May 12, 2002?

August 20, 2005 was the day I had to face reality on the scale. I waffled around for a couple of weeks trying to decide what to do, but that is still the date my new life began.