Calorie Counters Chat-March 2007!

You're on Page 7 of 53
Go to
  • Good Morning Girls!
    Yesterday's journal
    Fitness Center, worked the Strength training section only, no treadmill, etc.
    Calories...1,063 (Low again and should have eaten some almonds at bedtime to get them up, but too tired.)
    Fat...19%
    Fiber...79 grams (Gone most of the day and I had Fiber One cereal 3 times) I dropped another 1/2 pound too!
    My menu for the day was mostly odds and ends, after Church I went into town shopping, then exercising. Visited my MIL (she's in the hospital and today we might have to put her in a nursing home)Then to see my dad, had a nice visit with two of my brothers and sis-in-laws.
    I won't boor you with my menu, I did spread a Flat Out with no calorie spray, sprinkled it with garlic seasoning and baked it until crisp. Yum, it tasted like the sample of garlic chips I tried at the grocery store with demo lady.
    Susan... Sorry, I must have missed what you're dumping, I looked back on the post and couldn't find it. Hope you're feeling better today.
    Quote:
    I'm sorry I dumped all that on ya ... but it does feel better to make a plan and make it concrete ... or as permantent at type will allow. I need to keep my act together for a day or so.
    Cablgurl...I'm sending good tummy vibes your way!
    Diva... Hope you got rid of everything if you know what I mean.
    Allison...Left over Lasagna a day or two later is even better than freshly made, enjoy!
    Sweetie88... 1200-1500 is a perfect starting place and if you're really active and start losing too fast, you might have to adjust your caloric level.
    Cheryl... Excellent advice! That works for me too.

Quote:
    I'm choosing more veggies and salads, less meat, leaner meat, etc, because I learned I can really fill up and eat frequently on that stuff, without going over on the calories. You'll find what works for you.
    Hope & Faith...: I don't know if you have a food scale but I would highly recommend it if you're starting on a new calorie counting adventure. It takes all the work out of counting calories.
    Betty...
    Quote:
    Apparently this can't include chocolate or Cheez Its or this 1500 calorie nonsense goes right out the window. Bah!
    Very funny but true!

Robin...You had me stumped about your Purim celebration, but I enlightened myself by looking it up in the Dicitionary. My teeth ached just thinking about all that sweet stuff. On the 3.5 pound loss, wish I could lose in large blocks like that.
    Aphil... Wow! 4.8 pounds down for you, awesome!
    P.S. I didn't give my bio on this thread for all you new people because you can click on it yourself. We live out in the country on an acreage and it's a pain in the butt driving into town so often, but that's the only thing I about.
    Hi to anyone I missed.
  • hello everyone!

reading all of your messages about the progress you are all making is really motivating!! way to go ladies!!

Robin, Cheryl, and Aphil, thank you for the advice about breaking the diet, you all make some very good points and i will definitely keep that in mind in the future. Robin, good job on keeping your calories under 2000 for Purim, i always find holidays are the hardest because there are so many temptations! but you held it under 2000 so you should feel proud even though you didnt keep it at the amount you wanted to!

Diva- i hope you feel better! drink lots of water, not only is it healthy and will help you get better, but it will also help you to lose weight!
  • Hi everyone, Hope you all had a good weekend.

Went to curves this morning.
    The trainer says that with doing curves and the treadmill the same day... might be too much?
    Because I get dizzy when I first get off the treadmill. She said I should see a Dr.
    I am going to back off everyday workout and just do it as Curves suggest...for now. On my off days I will do the treadmill.

Calories for today are at 1234, fat is 17%, and
    carbs are at 55%.

That does not include my evening snack. probably fresh fruit. cut up with frozen berrys. and a few carrots.
  • Whoa!! I missed a lot. Okay, this is going to be quick. I will try to catch up on the other 7 pages I missed.

I'm Rai. I'm 26 (about to be 27 on April 10), married, no kids, and a graduate student working on my PhD (I have about 1 year left). It seems like I've been "watching my weight" since I was 14 or so. Or at least that's when I remember my mother always telling me to "be careful what you eat because diabetes run in the family".
    Anyways, I'm doing calorie-counting and BFL-type strength training (not the cardio). I have lost about 15 pounds since Jan. 29 and I'm so happy! My husband and I have a bet going on who will reach 170 first (if I lose I have to wear a shirt that says I'm a big fat loser, and if he lose he has to cook dinner for 2 weeks and wear the shirt for one day). Anyways, asof today I am at 174 and he is at 180. I'm not counting him out yet though. I figure I can get to 170 within two more weeks. Ideally, I would like to be at 160 by my B'day. That may be hard, but I think I'm in the sweet spot of weight loss.

I had a huge calorie day on Friday, maybe in the 4000 range (went out for dinner), but I kept it clean and low for the rest of the weekend and I had a 2 pound loss!!!
  • Hi girls,

Calories were 1318 for me yesterday. Not too bad, especially for a Sunday. I was trying really hard to keep things reigned in over the weekend, as weekends can be a downfall for me. Last week I gained a 1/4 lb., so I want to be extra vigilant this week. I admit I did go out after work Friday with a friend to vent about work stress, and I had 2 big margaritas. Not good, but I hope Saturday and Sunday I made up for it. I also had a good workout at the gym yesterday ... cardio and weights. I am getting ready to either go for a walk or do an exercise dvd. So, I'm trying to get with it this week and see the scale go down!

Some of you have had great losses this week (Go Robin and Aphil -- 4.8 and 3.5 pounds gone!! That's outstanding!). I keep saying that reading about others' successes helps motivate me. So, thanks for the inspiration!

Bobbi - can you share with me some tips for using the scale? I have only been calorie counting since January, and I use food labels to enter all my fitday stuff. I do use my measuring cups faithfully, but I have not been using a scale. What types of food do you weigh?

Littlered - sounds like you may have low blood pressure. It wouldn't hurt to get that checked out.

Hope everyone has a great week!
    p.s. Robin - thanks again for encouraging words. Honestly I can't remember if I responded to you about that yet or not.
  • Hey everyone.
    I'm newish, I introduced myself in a post further down.

Anyway yesterday was my first day of calorie counting. It went really well I think, and I did pretty good on it. I ate roughly 1800 calories, which compared to what most here are eating is a lot. But for the past year or so I've been eating a lot more than that (enough to pack on maybe ~7-10lbs) and it has been really unhealthy binge eating. So I figure I'll start out with a moderate cut, and work my way down after a bit.

Today is going well so far. I went to aerobics for the first time in a while (last week I couldn't work out because I was pretty sick) and it felt great. I have kick boxing later tonight, which I'm really looking forward to. And my calories are good, right where they should be.
  • Quote:
    Bobbi - can you share with me some tips for using the scale? I have only been calorie counting since January, and I use food labels to enter all my fitday stuff. I do use my measuring cups faithfully, but I have not been using a scale. What types of food do you weigh?
    Walking...I use it for everything that goes in my mouth that needs measuring. You can put an empty bowl on the scale, zero it off (so you don't get the bowl weight)then fill it with whatever you would use a measuring cup for. This morning I had 4 oz. of applesauce, I put the empty bowl on the scale, zero it off and dump the applesauce right into the bowl. It's especially useful when measuring cereal and small condiments like ketchup, mayo, etc. I can put a dinner plate on it, add my meat then zero that off after recording the weight and calories and add more food like cooked vegetables, etc. You can buy scales that will tell you not only the weight, but the calories, protein, fat, salt, etc. But since you're just starting out and using Fitday you can just buy an inexpensive digital scale at Wal*Mart. Make sure you get a digital, not the old fashion kind. You'll be amazed at how easy they are to use and your food is measured very accurately.
  • Wow. I need to do that. Makes me wonder if I've been getting accurate calories. Like I said, I mostly use labels and measuring cups. If a tub of yogurt says 100 calories per cup and I want just 1/2 cup, I'll enter .5 serving for 50 calories. Occassionally some foods do only give ounces (I've noticed lots of cheeses do this). Would a basic WalMart scale be accurate? Is there a particular brand you recommend? Also, ketchup, mayo I usually calculate using a tablespoon. Is that ok to do? Thanks for the information!
  • I bought the greatest digital scale. Okay, it was expensive, but I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond and I had a 20% off coupon, so I got almost $20 off (99.00 scale). It is really nice, but I have to admit, it sits unused a lot of the time! If I'm really wondering what something costs (# of calories) I will take the time to figure it out, but from there, I usually just keep a list of those things I eat a lot of to refer back to. I guess I'm trying to say that to me an apple is an apple (I almost always get similar sized apples) so if one is 95 calories and one is 110 calories, I'm not going to sweat about it.

Because of my mishap at breakfast this morning, I'm already at 1031 and dinner is still on the horizon. It will be salad, but I know I'll be over for the day. Oh, well, tomorrow is a new day.
  • I have a Salter digital scale. I think I paid 25$ on Amazon for it. I find it really helpful. As for ketchup and stuff like that I would still use measuring spoons but for cheese, rice, etc. it's really helpful fruits and veggies it's really helpful
  • My 1st scale was a Wal*Mart digital and they worked great. I also traded up to a expensive Salter, I love it and use it every day. One thing I appreciate is the elimination of measuring tools and nothing to wash. For the mayo you just put your slice of bread directly on the scale and spoon on the mayo. I guess your personality might have a lot to do with purchasing a scale or not. I'm a calorie counting freak and I want to know every calorie I consume. I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about Calories Counting geeks and it was fun to see many geeks just like me. I think they are a big time saver!
  • I think I'll check on Amazon and see what Walmart has. $99 is more than I want to spend, but I don't want a cheapy that isn't accurate. Maybe the Salter would work for me. I'll let ya'll know once I decide and give you an update on how I like it. I'll probably have lots of questions, so you'll be hearing from me! Thanks!
  • Catstongue, welcome!!! I'm new to this too, just started last week, but I am eating around 1600 to 1800 a day, so you're not alone. That number of calories is working well for me right now, and I feel good knowing I have room to cut back later if it stops working.

Cheryl
  • Sorry for the double post, but forgot to say congrats to Aphil and Robin for the awesome weight loss this week...woohoo!
  • Boy, how time flies. I haven’t posted for about a week and found everyone had moved!
    To reintroduce myself, I am in my 50’s and live in a Mpls. suburb. I have two children, a son who lives and works in NYC and a daughter who is married and has given me the best gift of all – a lovely granddaughter
    I work full-time and hope to cut back to part-time this spring so I can spend more time with the GD and on outdoor activities. My husband and I are in the process of having a log cabin built on a lake in the northernmost part of MN. We think we have found heaven.
    I have to say I have tried every diet out there and lost weight on all, only to gain it back over the next few years. I gained the most weight after I went back to school at the U.of M. to finish my BA. Full-time student full-time work, full-time mom/wife = eating on the run. I never got down to a decent weight after all of that munching. I had tried calorie counting when my kids were real young and found it to be the easiest because I didn’t have to buy anything special – just nutritious. I think losing slow and steady is a lot better than those quick weight-loss plans and programs.

I had to do a lot of reading here to try to catch up and I’d like to say Hello to all of the new folks and hi to everyone who helped me in the Feb. postings. I am pretty new here myself even though I have lurked on and off for a while.
    Bobbi: hope you didn’t get the ice storm you had last round. We just got snow this time. Lots and lots of snow as Chloe can attest to. I think we will get more before this winter is over, after all, the basketball tournaments are coming up.

Walking2lose: Sorry to hear about your illness, couldn’t help but think of an experience I had about 12 years ago after spending a weekend with the girls at a cabin in Wisconsin. A few weeks later I had many of your same symptoms. One of the worst was trying to open things, my hands and arms were so weak and ached. Turned out to be Lyme Disease, which they never would have thought of if I hadn’t mentioned my trip to the Wisconsin woods. A blood test confirmed it and a month of antibiotics cured me.