Calorie Counters Chat-March 2007!

You're on Page 11 of 53
Go to
  • Calories yesterday were good.....not quite 1200, but under 1400 for sure. The empanadas were good, but rather bland. They need some spicing up for next time. Using the won ton wrappers was really easy.

As for the scale. I don't know if it re-zero's automatically. I'll have to look at it. I know that you are supposed to put your plate or bowl on it before you turn it on so that it doesn't register the weight of the object. After that, I'm not sure.

I'll go home and look through my TVP recipes and post one tomorrow.

I'm off to a rather late start today as I had my weekly puppet show. I get a week off next week, then the following week is the final week. I'll be glad when it is over!

Have a great day!
  • angie- i actually just bought a bunch of "snack bags" of popcorn that are only 100 calories each. they are 94% fat free butter, and there is actually a lot of popcorn in there. i dont know how filling it is, but i do know that it is something good to munch on.

robin- i also try to just throw away anything that might be tempting to eat. if you are having problems because you are eating things here and there you can try chewing gum so that you wont be able to eat while baking or doing whatever.

keep up the good work everyone!!
  • I have a question for you ladies.

Do any of you have a "time cut off" for eating at night? I've heard that you shouldn't eat after 8pm and I've also heard that doesn't matter because it all comes down to calories-in vs. calories-out, no matter what time of day it is.

Sometimes I will finish dinner and still be under my calories for the day. Later on in the evening I want to have a sugarfree creamsicle or a mini bag of popcorn while watching TV, but it's 9-10:00 at night by then.

Just wondering what others do. Thanks.
  • In my opinion, calories are calories whenever you eat them. As long as you don't go over or eat a gigantic meal then go to sleep, you should be fine.
  • Not eating after a certain hour is a big Bob Greene thing. I think it's a crock! Really... think about it... in one sentence, he says stop eating after 8 PM (or two hours before bed) and force the body to fast until morning. A few pages later he says "maintain your blood sugar levels constant throughout a 24-hour period". Ridiculous! Just as getting up at 2 AM to "maintain your blood sugar levels" is ridiculous.

Math.

In - out = weight loss (or gain)
  • Afternoon, everyone, and welcome to all the new members! Yesterday's calories were low for me, just barely over 1100, but I wasn't working out or anything, just had a lazy day at home, so I think that made a difference. The days when I'm riding the bike or skating, it's like I can't get enough to eat, lol. Skating tonight for 2 hours, and will try to make it count!

I decided against buying a scale (non-food) for the house right now. I think I'd be too tempted to peek every day, and would probably get discouraged by the ups and downs of daily weighing. I'm just going to keep using the scale I started with, which is the digital at my sister's house. I go over there about once a week or two weeks, so I'll just weigh in when I go there. I'm going tomorrow, which won't quite be a week from my last weigh in, but I'll probably peek anyway. Not sure what to expect, since I had that bad day at the rink and haven't been doing great with the water. I'm trying to do better today, with 2 glasses down already. I try not to worry about the numbers on the scale, but I do anyway. I so want this extra weight off my body. It's like carrying around a 12 year old, 24/7, lol.

Cheryl
  • I naturally don't eat after dinner because I usually prepare a pretty filling dinner and I don't get hungry afterward. But I do not have a hard and fast rule for the exact time I stop eating. The other night we went out to dinner and didn't even get to the restaurant until after 8 PM. I agree with the quote
    Quote:
    calories are calories whenever you eat them
    Back to the food scale--I read the instructions. Yes, you simply hit the zero button after each food and it adds it up for you. You can also add foods or recipes that are not in the database. As I was doing my salad this morning, I realized (too late) that I should have used the scale so I'd REALLY know how many calories there were in it. Oh, well, next time.
  • Oh I listened to Bob Greene as well and cut off my food after say 7:00. When I finally got a handle on my control issues and then again started urging for something to eat at night, I said screw it. I now save some calories and do eat after 7:00 if I feel like. Something lite. My weightloss has not slowed down one bit since I started doing this. I say if you want to eat something at night - go for it.
  • Did good today, so far.

Shoveled snow 1 hour.
    Also worked out 1/2 hr,(CURVES).

Calories so far are 1279. thats without an evening snack.

6 Glasses of water so far. will get at least one more.

I feel good today.

I don't know the amounts of % needed for fats, carbs, and protein. I have seen lots of numbers for them.
    I don't have a cut off time for eating, I just try to keep in the 1400 calorie range. Sometimes I do, sometimes its less.

have a nice day, stay warm.

Theresa
  • Hello everyone. Just checking in. I have kept my calories between 1150 and 1250 all week. One bad thing though - no exercise other than the regular walking I do at work. I agree with the comment regarding eating in the evening. I try to keep my blood sugar from dropping too low, so I can't go 5 to 6 hours without eating while I am awake.
  • Yesterday I danced A LOT. Which made up for the 1800 calorie day with midnight trip to Perkins. It was worth it.

And today I'm sick I had a bowl of ice cream for lunch and am currently eating a yogurt. Probably won't want anything else. Orange juice would make me happy but it would also require leaving my apartment to buy some. Oh well.
  • about the eating late at night...i agree that it is perfectly fine to have a snack if you are feeling hungry, as you all said, its good to keep your metabolism going. just make sure it isnt too high in calories, i usually try having carrots or a grapefruit. i actually feel like it is better to plan on eating a late night snack because then i dont feel like i have to totally stuff myself at dinner so that i can make it through the night. its always better to have more smaller meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going.

had a good day today ran to crew practice, although we only rowed for a total of about 20 minutes. total calories: 1034

lots of homework to do and getting up at 6 tomorrow!
  • hey everyone
    i haven't posted in 4-5 days...i, uh...took a little 'time off' from my weight loss efforts and 'new lifestyle' i see a bunch of new faces since i last wrote...yea! (well, as much as you can 'see' new faces on a computer )

stressful week of grad school midterms for me..and when i am stressed or want to procrastinate studying, i eat! , but i'm ready to jump back ON the wagon

great job this past week everyone....i've read quite a few awesome posts! keep it up!
  • Good Morning! I was over 1700 cals yesterday.
    Walking opportunities just kept cropping up ... so I took them. I think I ran out 4 or 5 times, for something. It was lovely.
  • Good morning everyone. Thanks for the words of support. I somehow salvaged the day and stayed at about 1300 calories. It wasn't easy though, I really had to fight some urges. Something I have not had to deal with for awhile. I'm back on track after having a rough few days. I will be real happy when I get a few good days under my belt and start a new cycle of "good" behavior. We shall see. I am sure this will be my first week since starting this journey that I will not have a weightloss, most likely will have a gain. Such is life. I've got to move on and not dwell. The worst part about it is the weather here is atrocious again, been like that since Monday, so I haven't gotten in my outdoor walking and I miss it terribly.

Have a great day everyone, healthy and safe.