Roasted Edaname - fabulous snack!

• Full of fiber.

I take the bag out of the freezer, mix in a tsp or 2 of Olive oil and some salt - throw it on a tray in the toaster oven - and roast them on the toast feature (gets done quicker). Mix them around 1-2X and roast/toast till they're crunchy and almost look like pistachio nuts (sorry that's what they look like when they're done) they'll be a little crispy on some parts.

Put them in a bowl, salt again and I sprinkle on some hot red pepper flakes. A friend of mine makes them and adds other spices before she bakes them and she does them in the oven.

They're really good, filling and healthy! They're in your frozen dept usually in 1lb bags. I think they're about 250 calories for 12 or 14 oz.
  • That really sounds tasty. I like edaname, but I have never done this with them. I'm gonna try it! Thanks
  • Oh I love soybeans! That sounds great, thank you for that tip. Another thing I love munching on is cooked blackeyed peas. I buy the dry kind, then boil them until they're still firm and just slightly crunchy and just snack on them as is. I'll have to try adding the olive oil and spices and toasting them like you do the edamame. I'll bet it's just as good
  • I am DEFINITELY going to try that. I've never bought them before, but I have seen them. Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to go and buy them.
  • I bought some a few weeks ago, but they're sitting untouched in the freezer. Somehow boiled beans hasn't yet come to sound particularly appetizing.

Has anyone tried roasting them with cooking spray instead of oil?
  • I haven't tried this particular item with cooking spray, but I do use cooking spray on other veggies to roast. They come out just fine.
  • I made some this afternoon. I used cooking spray and added kosher salt, paprika, cayenne and garlic powder. They were crispy right after they came out of the oven, but have softened as they cooled. Still tasty though!

I used to do something very similar with canned chickpeas. Also very good.

(Edamame and chickpeas are quite high in calories though--have to be careful with portions.)
  • I usually eat them raw but the roasting sounds terrific. Thanks for the recipe/idea.
  • Quote: I
    Has anyone tried roasting them with cooking spray instead of oil?
    My friend who turned me onto them uses the cooking spray and they come out fine. I have this thing about using that spray on food but I have one of those sprayers you load with your own oil (from Williams Sonoma) and I have to try using that with it.

Make sure you get them to that 'just crispy' stage. As I said, they shrivel up and they'll start looking like pistachio nuts (little dark on certain areas). Don't forget to season them when they come out of the oven.