The Weigh Down Diet

You're on Page 3 of 10
Go to
  • There is a girl on here who nearly died from bypass surgery. Sounds like it worked out for your coworker. There is a neat prayer on pg 55 of Weigh Down and I am going to copy it and carry it with me to remind myself of the lessons we need to learn in the Lord. I had a friend who did both the class and Weigh Down at Home. She lost some but never finished the journey. I think she was a little put off by the trouble Gwen was in. That's why I stuck to the first book. I post on another Christian site and the moderator has just recently lost about 30lb with what she describes as inspired eating. She eats between hunger and fullness and this is really a breakthrough for her because she has managed a diet site for probably 5 yr and is just now losing the weight.
  • peachtea, what a great way to read that book - the Lord will let you take from it what you need - that is terrific.

Volumetrics is a way of eating without counting anything. You eat foods based on their energy density - an easy way of putting it is that some foods are very low in calories so you eat a lot of them, some foods need some restraint, and some foods really need to be limited. Nothing is forbidden. There are two books out on this subject - The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan, and also The Volumetrics Eating Plan.

But I really need help in other areas. I eat when I'm hungry, full, bored, upset - any excuse. So I need to learn how to deal with this. Another good book I just bought is called The Beck Solution. It's not Christian - it's based on cognitive therapy, but is just a good common sense book. You can find it on amazon and the author also has a website. I heard she was on the Today show yesterday with her diet group, but I missed that.

I agree Thin Within can be cumbersome. Maybe that's why it's hard getting through it - I'm really stuck. Also, to be honest, I love Jesus with all my heart and soul - He saved my life, really - but I'm not stuck on what I called "churchese"...certain phrases and sayings and slogans you hear over and over again in the church. Unfortunately, Thin Within is full of these. But still, it's message is truly of God's grace.

Well, hope we can keep this link going.
  • Volumetrics sounds like good old common sense. I think I'll look online for some info about it and also the Beck Solution. Thanks
    "....but I'm not stuck on what I called "churchese"...certain phrases and sayings and slogans you hear over and over again in the church." Oh yeah, I know what you mean! It can turn me off to what probably would be a great message sometimes.
    My heart goes out to you about how you can eat for ANY reason and no matter how full you are. I seem to be coming out of a long period of that same thing. It didn't matter how uncomfortably full I was I was still wanting to eat! I felt disgusted with myyself about it too. Couldn't figure out why I was so undisciplined. I don't really know what happened, but I was looking online for weightloss and came across the Weigh Down diet. I got the book from the library and started in on it. Things clicked in my head and I'v been doing pretty good since. I cannot in any way explain why it's working except for it's God's timing maybe. I just don't know. I've done well and lost easily 3 times before. Lost 50 pounds twice with more yet to lose and both times as soon as I hit that 50 pound mark I got pregnant. (These are our last 2 children of 4 and they are 12 yrs apart!) Then 2 yrs ago I lost 40 pounds easily when the dr put me on bp meds and I started thinking about my health. But then I fell off the wagon so to speak and put 10 back on. So even now...I'm worried that no matter how much I may end up losing...I'll just end up putting it all back on.
    Another thing is that since I've been overweight for most of my 55 yrs, if I DO lose a lot of weight I'll have ugly skin hanging every where which could be even uglier than the fat! I guess I'm just expecting to fail and I know that's not what God wants from me. I need to trust and have confidence.
    Oh gosh, sorry I'm rambling! You're in my prayers, Joycelyn, well all of you are!
    God bless, Alice
  • You know...i was really really craving some of the chocolate eggs sitting on the table downstairs (dont you just love easter) but reading some of you posts i started thinking about if im hungry or not, and im not....not even a little...im stuffed! I already ate several little eggs, im an emotional eater and im having a bad week, but thinking back, they are kind of gross. The chocolate is really cheap, and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth....
    So thats just my little revelation of the day.

Anyways, thank you soo much for continueing on this thread. I have tried so many diets, and i seem to gain weight on all of them. I am a master at eating a ton of low calorie foods. Well, i came across my mom's Weigh Down book sitting on the book shelf gathering dust so i decided that i may as well read it and see. What did i have to lose? (lol, other than a ton of weight, which i wont mind losing) I read it and it really made sense, but my mind was going "no, its too simple, there has to be something more, this cant work." So, i figured i may as well ask here, if no one had anything good to say, then i would just forget about it. Well, needless to say ya'll responded.
    I wasn't sure if i would have anyone to help me and support me if i decided to follow this way of eating. I know my mom wont, she is constantly my food police, telling me to eat a salad for dinner, and not eat carbs, and glaring at me if i am in the kitchen. And even on this site, though i love this site, everyone is on some type of "diet" plan; low cal, low fat, low carb, ect.
    So thank you for responding. You gals make me feel like this will work and i can do this.
  • I've lost 10lb this year and having had 10 pregnancies and a chronic disease since I was 28 (I'm 58 on Sat. and have taken prednisone 3 times and on it right now) I've had a lot of excuses for being overweight. I don't think I should use these excuses because there is a gal on here who lost almost 100lb while taking prednisone. She used Atkins but I have kidney trouble so that's not for me. And the Lord is able to bring us out of any trouble if that is His will. I, too, am rereading WW and sifting out anything I know is not Biblical. There's a lot of help in that book.
  • Instead of WW that should have been WD.
  • Hi 100percentMe, You most certainly CAN do it! I hope I can be a support person for you. And thru encouraging you maybe I will keep myself 'up there' too. I'm doing good so far. I usually weighed myself every morning but I'm doing it only on MOnday mornings now. I can't wait for next Monday. I think I'll have a decent loss. As a Mom I kinda hate to say this, but when your Mom gets on you, just smile and let it go in one ear and out the other. Only YOU know what's going to work for YOU. If this is feeling right for you go for it!
    Carolr, Good for you on the 10 pounds this year. At that rate you could have 40 off by Christmas! I hope I can!
    You've certainly been thru the wringer haven't you?! God's brought you thru it all and will see you succeed now. Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
    I pray today that all of you will see success in every little thing you do. Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs, Alice
  • Oh and I forgot to say, I got Thin Within in the mail yesterday and then got a call from the library that they had Volumetrics for me so I went up and got it and figured I better start on it so I can get it back on time. I have found some good recipes in it.
    Carolr...what was the prayer on pg 55 of WD? I meant to go back and look but forgot and now it's been taken back to the library. Is it short enough to put in a post?
    The other morning (early hours when I couldn't go back to sleep) I asked the Lord for a 'thought' to lift myself with and within a few minutes the phrase 'stay the course' came to my mind and seems to be perfect for my adventure here. But He also gave me the phrase 'stand beyond' and I haven't really figured out what it means yet. I'm sure He'll show me though. I just need to keep my mind on Him.
    Hugs
  • Here is the prayer.

Lord, Thou hast made my body and set within me the amounts of fuel that are requited to live. I pray the Thou would hep me today to be sensitive to those amounts and not to go beyond what is needed. Lord, help me to let go of my focus on food so I will not lust for more than that. Fill my thoughts, instead, with Thy love and compassion so I do not feel yearning or greed, but contentment.
  • Sorry about the spelling.......should have been required and help. Thanks.
  • Carolr, Thanks for the prayer. It does sound familiar. It's a really good one to keep going to. It's exactly the prayer we need.
    I went shopping with my best friend today. We ate at the Mall and I did real well choosing exactly what I woudl eat and no more. Did well for dinner tonight too and now DH wants to go to the DQ so I'm going and I'm going to enjoy it!
    Have a great night all!
  • OK everybody, where are you all?
    I weighed in this morning and have lost 2 more pounds! PTL
    I hope you all had a wonderful Easter!
  • You know what i realized...i dont like the feeling of being stuffed anymore. I used to eat until i had that 'cant eat another bite or else i will blow' feeling. But know, i dread that feeling. I realized that i havent experienced real HUNGER in a long time.
    You know, usually when im hungry my stomache will grow, and i will get a discomfort in my stomache. And so i feed it. Well, this past week i have been not feeling well, and so i havent really been eating. My stomache growled but there was no way i wanted to eat cuz i knew i would barf. So, i kind of ignored it and it went away. (Gwen talked about it in her book) Then, two days ago, i was feeling much better, and i didnt have a temperature, but my stomache hurt! And i wasnt sure why. It just hurt. It wasnt growling, it wasnt rumbling. So i ate and it felt better. Ive decided that what i was feeling was REAL hunger. REAL 'you havent eaten hardly anything in 3 days, now give me some food' hunger. i havent felt that in over a year. And now, i dont want to be stuffed. Ive overeaten today, but only a little bit. So, im just a little bit stuffed, and i dont like it. And this is just a little bit.
    God is amazing in the way he designed us!
    Anyway, just thought id share another epiphany i had. lol i seem to be relizing a lot lately, but it is definatly benefitting me. I feel so much better, even if i havent lost any weight yet. I FEEL better, not overeating.
    Have a great day!
  • Hi 100percentMe, I hope you're feeling better by now. Sometimes being sick helps us get a jump start on eating better. I know what you mean about discovering that actual hunger feeling. I have done really well this past couple weeks, but the last 2 days haven't been so good. No catastraphe, but certainly could have been better. I'm not stuffing myself anymore at least, but when I'm at that nice comfortable full feeling when I know I should stop, I STILL want food. I know it's my devilish appetite rearing it's ugly head.
    Best to you all.
    One day at a time!
  • I guess my biggest problem is snacking. I eat when hungry but maybe too often. Right now we are on vacation in Colo. and the altitude has been affecting me and so I have not been as hungry. I can't really get much exercise because I can hardly breath. My family is skiing here.