nutritionist

• I've been thinking of going to see a nutritionist to figure out exactly how to eat to lose weight. I mean, of course I know what is healthy but I was thinking they could give me a more personalized plan. Does anyone have any experience with one? Any success stories? What to expect from it? How much it costs?

Thanks!

Katie
  • My sister is a dietitian, and I would recommend a dietitian over a nutritionist, because a dietician has to have a degree and a nutritionist's credentials can be iffy.

When I was in college, I went to a few sessions with a dietitian. It was a hospital-college collaberative program and you got two or three sessions free, and then had to pay if you wanted to continue. I only took the free sessions, and the advice was good, but rather "generic" (nothing I didn't already know, just needed to put into practice). I really did love the nutritional analysis they did though. You had to keep a journal of everything you ate for one week. Then the dietitian did an analysis of your best day, your worst day, and your overall nutrition.
  • I was hoping to have something a little more personalized. I mean, I know how to eat healthy I just want to know if there is a "best" healthy way to eat for me. Maybe I'll see what's available with my health insurance.
  • I went to see a dietitian ... all I remember was being appalled at the teeny weeny thing she called a serving!
  • SusanB: hahaha! well, from your stats it looks like you've done just fine without eating "teeny weeny" servings
  • In my heart I'm a glutton. So I had to figure out big food. Big salad! Big bowls of soup! I'm not wasting my time on 1/4 cup of beef-with-gravy-mushrooms-and-rice-eolio