Breads that are ok

• I'm not totally limiting carbs, just trying to keep everything in check, carbs, fat, protein, calories. It can be difficult to find any bread taht doesn't have 18+ carbs per slice.

I found this Cedar's Lavash Bread at BJ's that's absolutely wonderful. It's got all the good stuff, Omega-3's, Flax, whole wheat. It tastes SO good. I think per 1/2 slice (they're HUGE, at least 12" x 6") it's only 7 carbs and that 1/2 slice is perfect.
  • I really like Alvarado St. Flax seed bread. One serving is 100 cals and TWO slices of bread. I think it is labeled low-carb due to all the fiber, but I buy it because I like it and it is low cal.
  • My favorite is "the baker". Only 50 calories per slice and it is hearty.
  • I don't know about all these fancy smarmy breads. I just get bread at the grocery store. And I've found that the Sarah Lee Whole Wheat with Honey and 1g sugar to be good. It's 45 cals per slice. I don't recall the total carbs (not home right now), but they're low.
  • I use the Sara Lee Delightful whole wheat at 45 calories a slice and 6.5 net carbs. Or the Natures Own whole wheat at 50 calories a slice. Both are soft and taste very good. I have bought some of the lavash flat bread and used it like pizza crust to make home-made low-cal/low-carb pizza with. Tonite I had a pepperidge farm whole wheat hamburger bun and it was soft and tasted great. (last time I bought the Sara Lee ww buns they weren't near as tasty).
  • I am NOT a good baker but I like making my own because I don't like all the "additives" in store-bought bread. I make quick breads from the Southaven Farm mixes and love the whole wheat and the 100% multi-grain. I do them by hand although I can do them in the breadmaker too on quick bread cycle. They are about 4 grams fiber per slice but I don't remember the carb grams (since I don't count carb grams). If you want to look, they're at southavenfarm.com. Just another option...
  • My personal favorite sliced bread is Nature's Own Sugar Free 100% Whole Wheat. It's 50 cals a slice, so I don't have to blow too many calories at lunch when I eat a sandwich. I also use their hamburger and hot dog buns.
  • I am so glad someone wrote about bread. I eat whole wheat breads (different brands) but in the Best Life book I picked up he constantly talk about Wasa crispbread and Ezekiel 4:0 Organic Sprouted Whole Grain bread.
    Anyone tried those or know where to find them? Isn't whole wheat with 3g of dietary fiber good enough??

I love bread and I want to keep it in my diet but I want to make sure I am choosing the kind that is best for me.
  • Ezekiel bread ROCKS! I find it at my organic grocery store in the refrigerated section, or in the co-op. They have other products too, I think.

My bread standard is 15g carbs and 2g fiber for each slice.
  • At the grocery stores I go to, Ezekiel bread is mostly in the frozen section. Some gourmet grocery stores have it out with the normal bread. It just depends.

I found the Wasa Crispbread near the crackers at Whole Foods Market (don't know if you have one near you). I love those things at snack time with different toppings on them.
  • I love ezekiel bread. I have found it at both my local grocery stores and the health store has it too_ at a higher price. Some keep it in the freezer section, which I recommend, some in the fresh aisle. They even have a bran one without soy flour which I highly recommend!

Organic sprouted wheat, it doesn't get any better than that. (store bought wise anyhow)
  • I recently found ezekiel in Trader Joe's although previously I had only seen it in stores like Whole Foods. The ingredients are good and I think it is even cheaper than my normal brand of bread.
  • Just make sure to keep the ezekiel frozen. It is my favorite bread (and the buns absolutely ROCK) but it goes stale in a hurry.
  • Hmm interesting, Trader Joe's had Ezekiel with the rest of their breads (sitting out room temperature) and I put it in my fridge without a problem. I do remember Whole Foods having it in the freezer section though so I don't know why the difference.