Jogging in place

• Does jogging in place have the same benefits as jogging, um... out of place?

Even if it doesn't, does it still have some cardio and weight loss merit?
  • I'm really not sure about that question, but moving doing something is better than doing nothing. I have heard that it can be harder on the knees, so if your knees start hurting, stop and go for a walk outside instead...
  • I stared by jogging in place for 20 minutes 3 times a week. I wore a heart monitor and made sure my heart rate got up to at least 70% for those 20 minutes. IMHO as long as your heart is beating that fast, anything you do will give you cardio benefits and definitely help with weight loss.
  • Out of curiosity, and not meaning any disrespect, why would you jog in place when you can jog? Like, if it's cold out I guess...
  • sweet_talker: No disrespect taken. Yes, it's hella cold here (-17°C but feels like -28°), and after gaining back 20lbs and generally feeling 'out of shape' again, I'm having a bit of a self-esteem issue in terms of getting back to the gym.
  • Cold here too! I just did some jogging in place in front of the TV for some extra exercise. Got my heart rate up.
  • According to fitday, you burn the same calories jogging in place as you do with general jogging. You could plug in the differing speeds of running and see where it falls.