Core Chat Thread - Feb 12 - 18, 2007

You're on Page 4 of 8
Go to
  • Hey Everyone
    I have a question. Does anyone have a Gazelle. And do they like it. Is it low impact. My knees are really bothering me. So need something that dont bother them. someone said the gazelle wasnt worth the money. Said it didnt get the heart rate up. And that there was no way to increase the tension.
    so was wondering if any of you had one. So was wondering if I should start saving my pennies or forget it.
    Hope everyone had a great day.
    coco
  • I had one and liked it a lot. My DD has it at her apartment now. You can't increase the tension but you can do different things like lean forward or back. I got my heart rate up, that's for sure. For the money, I recommend it. There's a little computer thing on it that will tell you the equivalent of distance, calories burned, minutes, and probably something else that I'm forgetting. It is definitely low impact because you're not picking up and putting down your feet; they stay right in the same place.

The stew was good although I just had a teeny bit because I ate my lunch so late and had several snacks at work. Things are packed up for tomorrow though so I'm ready to go. I think I need to get there early so I guess I should go to sleep soon.
  • Hi friends,
    So sorry that I haven't been posting. Things are so nuts here, as usual.
    I got the results of my bloodwork last night. My doctor thinks that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome...I would give you more info but I haven't quite figured it out yet. My glucose levels were also high. Again, I really don't know what that means so I'm preparing to do some research. I also am going to research and see what type of diet (what foods) are best to help with this situation.
    I'm not terribly worried about it, but it is kind of scary. She said the best treatment is the glucophage, which I'm already taking. So hopefully that will take care of the problems.
    Love ya girls.
  • Melissa, both my girls have PCOS and all they do is watch it. When the youngest was diagnosed at about age 15, they said she was full of fluid. I have no idea what that means but they acted like it wasn't normal. Still they don't really treat it with anything.

My glucose was high at my last checkup (I had no idea) and so I got a monitor and check it every day. It ranges between 108 and 135 or so, with it usually being in the 110-119 range. I'm not on medicine yet but probably will be soon. I got the Accu-Chek Aviva and really like it a lot. Test strips are expensive but I bought my last box on ebay, $10 for 50 instead of $45 at the store. Walgreens had it on sale for $20 with a mail-in rebate for the full price, so it was basically free. The lancet device doesn't hurt at all and is very easy to use. If you buy strips on ebay, just make sure they aren't expired because there's a keycode you snap into the monitor, and if the strips are expired the keycode won't work, which means neither will the strips. Okay that sounds confusing but really it isn't. Anyway, my sister and mom had different ones and theirs weren't nearly this friendly. Oh and I don't even write anything down because it keeps the readings along with the date and time stored in the monitor. I hope this helps -- even if you take the glucophage you should test yourself every day. I do it first thing in the morning so it'll be a fasting test.

I'll be back in a while.
  • Hi everyone. Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day. DH is not high on my list -- he did get me a wonderful card. But get this - my gift was a plastic rose with a teddy bear on it, when you put it in water it lights up. What the heck! A single real rose would have been much better - perhaps he bought stuff for Sarah and realized he didn't get me anything?? I told him last night he owes me real flowers. UGH, men.

Anyhow - I'm happy to report Sarah is back to being her self. I think she is finally over her bought with the flu; I now, of course have a horrid head cold. I guess it comes with being a mom!

I missed wi this week - due to the storm here yesterday our leader cancelled - can't blame her. She'll add on a week at the end. My scale is back to doing some odd things. Last week my morning wi was down to 179, today its up to 181! I've been doing really well, but have not been able to walk due to the icy conditions. I'm thinking my thyroid level may be off. I'm going back to writing down all that goes in my mouth and floring it. My prescription will need to be refilled in a couple of months and I'll have to do the blood work anyway. I might do it sooner.

Vickie - I'm jealous of the laptop. I do need to get a new PC (yes, I've been talking about this for a while); I was debating on doing the wireless. I really need to go talk to someone. How did the chili turn out? Love Rachel’s' suggestions.

Frouf - let me know where to have myself (stuffed in a bag) sent for the cruise. We can all just lurk around the ship, no one will know we are stow-always!

Kathy - you are brave! A chocolate fountain....yummy! Congrats on you loss. You WILL get to your goal soon. Maybe I need to give up my wine for a while......hmmm.....

Melissa - congrats on the loss. Great numbers. Its good that the Dr has diagnosed the PCOS, won't that interfere with fertility? Just keep practicing.

Well, off to check emails. BBL
  • Melissa - definitely do some more research and find out what you need to do! Will you be having any further testing?

Speaking of which Vickie - how was the lung/CT scan? Hope all went well

I am at work but not feeling great - feel like my cold is heading south into my chest? NOT GOOD! Lots of mucus and coughing today - I think if I am not feeling better soon I shall have to visit my dr! Can't be sick for travelling!

Had a LOVELY dinner out last night - altho a bit too late to eat! I had a Kir royale to drink (very yummy and pink) - then they had a valetine's day table d'hote menu - soup, I had a scallop and caviar appetizer - the steak (w/potatoes and veggies), decaf and the lemon/blueberry parfait (only had a few bites). Good news is I was not that bloated when I left especially since I stopped eating my entree when satisfied - only ate half the steak/veggies and I enjoyed the LO for lunch today!!! Need to fill up on more water tho!

I think I should try and exercise tonight - if I am not feeling too sick (my chest does not feel good when I cough!) - still taking decongestant/sinus meds. Will try to get thru tomorrow at work, then rest at home this weekend! (thankfully nothing major planned - maybe haul the suitcases up and do some packing?).

Paula - definitely real flowers are in order (but that teddy bear/rose thing sounds awfully cute?) - they did give out 'real' roses at the restaurant last night and I came home w/2 of them!

Weather here is FRIGID but stable - it was minus 36 w/the wind chill this morning! At least the snow has stopped and the roads have been somewhat cleared! Supposed to warm up a bit for the weekend (ya like minus 6 ha ha)

Just found out my (former) cruise buddy Andrea has taken on an assignment in a different dept - will be gone in a few weeks - I am very sad - but happy for this excellent opportunity - but she and I visited 'offices' frequently and I will surely miss chatting w/her!

Trying to catch up on stuff - my survey isn't working - what a bummer! and some sort of 1 pm meeting - either an announcement (like my mgr is leaving?) - but I think a celebration for our planning team who has been working hard these past couple of weeks to meet deadlines - so probably some big gorgeous fattening cake will appear - I of course will have none of it!

Froufie
  • Hey Chicks! I'm home from the test and brunch. I ate Core and was a very good girl. The lung CT scan was not so bad as I did not have to hold my breath very long. I still feel the discomfort in my lungs and hope that the report will be good. I think my next stop is the allergist. The new BP medicine seems to be relieving some of the discomfort. Maybe I was feeling some of the distress from some of the last few months on my chest.

It's very cold here but not as cold as Canada! I'm going out for my usual Thursday night dinner out. Great Niece and Sister might be joining us. That will be nice.

I'll be back in the morning. I'm trying to research what I need for my little network. I have a million questions.
  • Is anyone else having trouble with 3FC? It takes forever to load and is often kicking me off of AOL. Lately it's been so much trouble, I've stopped trying to log on. I'm not having any trouble with any other web pages.
  • Hi Vickie,

Glad it all went well - and you are feeling a bit of relief - hopefully you will only feel better!

More bad news - just had a meeting where my MANAGER announced her departure (to another gov dept - as a Director!!!) - she started to cry - we all started to cry. We knew when we entered the room and there was no FOOD it had to be bad news - joked we should have brought a kleenex box and put it in the middle of the table!

I am feeling a bit uneasy about this and the future here - guess we need to wait and see what sr management decides to do!

Froufs tend to like the 'status quo'!

Froufie
  • Frouf, maybe you should apply for her job?
  • Vickie, I've been having trouble for about a week. First it pops up (despite popup blocker) some boxes, then says it's "done" even though I'm still on whatever previous site I was on. I have to refresh a few times, go thru the "page not found" thing ... refresh, refresh ... and finally. Many times I just give up. As soon as I leave though, I always have to go run Adware and get rid of the tracking trash that was left behind.

I thought it was only me so I haven't said much.
  • Kathy, same here! I wonder if the Moderators and the Sisters know? Somebody did something.
  • Hi all,

Just popping in quick before I head out to run chores. Didn't make it to the gym yesterday, decided to count shoveling as exercise enough. Once I sat for a while my shoulders and arms got stiff and sore, feel better today though so I'm stopping there while I'm out.

Frouf - It is the same siren, they use it for everything, I guess you just get used to to it. If its snowing and they're forecasting more than 6" its a snow emergency, if its a thunderstorm - its a tornado warning, if its the first sat. of the month its a test..... I'm not really crazy about it when it goes off at 7am which it did yesterday, not the most pleasant sound to wake up to .

Vicki - glad your feeling better.

Sandra - great that the doctor visit went well.

Have a great afternoon all.

- Tech
  • It just dawned on me you probably don't know what a snow emergency is. It just means they want you to get your car out of the street so they can plow, if you don't move your car, they can ticket you and will plow you in. When I was at school in the Upper Peninsula we weren't allowed to park in the street from mid Oct. until March that was worse.
  • Okay that siren thing would freak me out - we are NOT ALLOWED any street parking, as you mentioned during the winter as the plows come around regularly!

Quote:
    Frouf, maybe you should apply for her job?
    I don't really think I want her job? And not sure what sr management will decide? It not like you can always 'apply' if you know what I mean? They may ask someone to 'act' in her position for a certain time (and usually that is the person that gets the job!). I am already floundering wondering what I will do? I obviously am very dependent on her for decision making and feel like I can't do this on my own! How pathetic is that?

Frouf

P.S. A chocolate cake did eventually appear - and I am proud to say I had none of it - altho I am 'indulging' in a red heart shaped lollipop right now (which someone ??? left on my desk yesterday) - feels good on the throat!