*Taking a Deep Breath*

• Here I am.

I often am torn between complete shyness (even over the Internet) and running off at the mouth, so I hope I give enough information to be helpful in knowing me, but not so much that everyone thinks "Gawd, will she shut up already!"

Weight loss, for me is scary. At one point, I weighed 380 lbs, and managed to get right below 300 before I stopped with no conscious thought. One day I was exercising and eating right, and the next I wasn't.

That was four years ago.

Since then, obviously, a lot has happened. I kept saying I'd get around to it one day. After this thing or after that thing. It was the same way with smoking. I'd quit after vacation, or after finals, or before I started a new job, etc., etc. And the plan all along was to focus on weight loss after I stopped smoking so I wouldn't have to deal with the dreaded weight gain during that period. Only I realized that I kept putting off the smoking thing (at least partially) because I didn't want to deal with the weight.

I finally came to terms with that (I guess, really started being honest with myself), in addition to some of the reasons I didn't want to or always failed at losing weight.

I quit smoking in January of this year, and already I can feel the difference. But at the same time, I'm very nervous because this means I move to the next phase: an overall healthier lifestyle.

Right now, life is so hectic between work, school, and tons of homework, but I realize that I've been making excuses for far too long...and even if I only manage to lose 1 lb a week, it's still better than I'm doing now.

The last I weighed, it was 335, but that was before I quit smoking. I don't have a scale at the present time, but I plan on getting one as soon as I find my WW materials and start from that weight. It worked wonderfully for me before, and I'm sure it will again.

I am so amazed and inspired by the stories on this site, and am so glad that I found 3FC.

Here goes everything!
  • Quitting smoking is rough! Congratulations! You've already done something wonderful for your health. But everyone who says you gain weight is right - voice of experience here - so you are doing the right thing by starting working on your weight NOW before the "non-smoking pounds" have a chance to take hold! This is a great spot for inspiration and motivation! We're glad to have you here!
  • Thank you for the welcome!

Actually, though, I decided to quit smoking before I began dealing with my weight. I went to m doctor, told him about my plan, and he said it was probably wiser that way -- to take care of the smoking before I started watching numbers for the weight loss, that it would probably make quitting even more difficult.

But I made it, and I didn't seem to gain (according to my clothes) -- in fact, I may have lost a little.

But I'm still looking for my stuff, and feel excited (and nervous) to be moving to the next "phase" of my journey.

This is an incredible site, and still have so much to find in it.

I'm looking forward to it.
  • That is great that you didn't gain weight when you quit smoking. I know for me I had one of my quickest periods of gains after I stopped.

I totally know what you mean about waiting until life becomes sane, and then it never does, so we keep putting things off until tomorrow. I am certainly guilty of exactly that same thing - especially right now! At the same time, you can't expect to do everything, so figuring out what you can do and focusing on doing that seems like the smart way to go.

Don't worry about "running off at the mouth" either. That is how we get to know you!
  • Hi and I figure if you can give up smoking you can definitely shift the lbs, you obviously have a lot of I am glad you found this site and I hope we can all help motivate you and cheer for you as the lbs come off

Hugs,

Ammi
  • Glad you joined! This is a great support group! Coming here really helps keep me focused. Look forward to seeing you post more!
  • Welcome Welcome! Glad to hear you quit smoking. I think all of us have something that holds us back from trying to lose weight -- it's daunting! I'm a "baby stepper" myself. Couldn't handle it all at once and have made small changes which have accumulated into a big weight loss!

Please feel free to join us on the weekly numbered thread and check out all the stickies at the top of the page -- there's a lot of info there!
  • Thank you all for so warm a welcome!

I've found my WW stuff, and am being mindful of what I'm eating, although I haven't gotten a scale yet (on the to-buy list when I go shopping).

Y'all's exuberance is catching!
  • Quote: Y'all's exuberance is catching!
    Muah!
    Welcome!