Old 01-31-2007, 08:48 PM   #1  

Default Beachbody Hip Hop Abs

I am a Turbo Jam addict - I've been doing Turbo Jam since September 2005 and I mentioned the workout here a long time ago - I hope everyone is still enjoying their workouts. I can't get enough of this workout and love Chalene and her crew.

I did want to pass on another workout that just came out - I just ordered it so I haven't tried it - I will be sure to report when I do but just in case anyone is interested, it is suppose to be a lot of fun too. I can NOT imagine they will ever replace Turbo Jam but they might be fun to add to the mix.

You can check it out at:

www.hiphopabs.com

I am NOT a dancer at all - too stiff but Chalene has showed me that doesn't matter - it's all about moving whether you are good at it or not and having fun.

Hope all is well! Are any of the the ones that started with TJ a long time ago still here????

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #2  

I also love the Turbo Jam workouts, but if the Hip Hop Abs is from the Yoga Booty Ballet series it's a great deal of fun as well. The CD says it's around 49 minutes long and it seems to be over in 15-20. I think you'll really like it. I did it for the first time yesterday and boy can I feel it in my Abs today.
galinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #3  

No this is a different set - it's not Yoga Booty Ballet's Hip Hop Abs. Shaun T. is the instructor and boy, does he have a nice set of abs. I have the YBB Live set and I probably do one workout every 2 weeks - I like them but they don't get my heartrate up that high. I was trying to have one workout a week though that was lower so these fit the picture.

Hip Hop Abs is a dancey set - they show a clip at hiphopabs.com if you'd like to check it out.

Rachelle
Old 02-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #4  
No More Excuses

S/C/G: 220/203/160

Rachelle ~ I hadn't heard anything about these new workouts until I read your post. You would think beachbody would send me an email, since they've gotten so much of my business in the past. Anyway, are the workouts worth the $60 plus shipping? I've been watching my email for a coupon for 10-15% off, but I guess it's not going to happen.

BTW, I still love, love the TJ workouts. It's been almost a year and I'm still going strong. I would love to work Hip Hop Abs into my routine, just to shake things up a bit.

Thanks for keeping us posted on the new workouts.
bbobsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #5  

I just ordered the Hip Hop Abs today after seeing the infomercial....have you been able to try it yet? I'm hoping it works well!! I can't wait to get mine.
hzrdus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 PM   #6  
No More Excuses

I finally received a 10% discount email message from beachbody and ordered mine on Friday. Hopefully, my order will arrive this coming week...I'm excited to try it. I'll post a review after I've completed my first workout.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #7  
WW Moderator

Thanks for the review! I have two left feet, but I might be able to give it a shot. If you have no rhythm at all, is it still possible to keep up?

Rachelle, I made your link a real link. BB is allowed. They do have a forum, but we also do reviews for them occasionally.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #8  
Waiting to Grow Up!

Hi Everyone,
I read a lot, post a little ...but had to chime in on these. I have all of HHA so far and really love the ones I have tried so far. Total Body Burn, Ab Sculpt and Fat Blasting Cardio (? think that's the name). I am really choreo-challenged and have been able to follow along w/o major modifications, even when I have not had time to preview. I did TBB & the cardio workout yesterday and feel the soreness in my obliques today.

These do remind me of Turbo Jam but not so much that I feel I am doing the same workouts w/o variety. I didn't wear my HRM yesterday so can't comment on how many calories I burned but was as sweaty as when I jog for 30 or so minutes. I am not saying that the intensity is that high but the sweat factor sure has been. (BTW, I do jog slow...around 4.3 mph.)

darlene
ReachingZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #9  
No More Excuses

Hi ReachingZen ~ Thanks for the review! I really love Turbo Jam and its' fun factor, but it's time to mix it up a bit. Since I haven't worked out in a couple of days, I need something to spark me up today. I'm hoping my package will be waiting on me when I get home from work.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #10  
Waiting to Grow Up!

Bbsgrl -- I hope your pkgs are waiting for you!! <crossing fingers> I can't wait to hear what you think of these!

I have levels 1 & 2 but am going to force myself to stay with level 1, at least another week! I am trying to stay with jogging (since it's something I thought I could never do) so am working these in with that. I normally jog M/W/F and can usually add Ab Sculpt then do Total Body Burn and the cardio on Tues & Thurs. Sometimes I am too short on time for more than one workout in the morning. I felt a little whipped this morning so did a slow walk.

I am missing the TJs and could sub some of the shorter ones in here and there. I have Kickin' Core and the other new one and have not even tried those yet.

I noticed that you are from TX too! We have some strange weather this year! My DH is a meteorologist and tells me that this is an El Nino year so things are freaky all over. BTW, today is beautiful! I hope that lasts a while.

Lunch is over so back to work for me!
Have a nice weekend!
-darlene-
Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #11  
PLady

S/C/G: 305/237/170

Height: 5'9"

Newbie here. I was searching for info about Shawn T's Hip Hop Abs. My money is really tight, and I'm wondering if these will just add to the rest of my tapes that are accumulating dust. I tell myself to save money and drag out the ones that I have. His infomercial is so enticing, tho.
PLady100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #12  
No More Excuses

Yippeee!! I received my package on the 16th, but didn't give the workouts a try until yesterday. All I can say is WOW!!! After previewing the secrets to flat abs, I did the fat burning cardio workout. It's about a 30 minute workout that isn't too difficult to follow...it's similar to TJ because of the music and fun factor. Since I've been working out consistently for almost a year, I wasn't expecting any soreness from this workout....boy, was I WRONG!! I felt soreness in my abs and legs this morning. So, I repeated the workout this morning to work out some of the soreness and stiffness. I haven't previewed the other workouts yet, but I'll be sure to post a review when I do. To sum it up, HHA is a keeper. I think I'll alternate between HHA and Turbo Jam...I think it's a good combination.

Darlene ~ Yep, this TX weather is truely strange. I was wondering if this is an El Nino year...we discussed this at work on Friday, but no-one knew the answer. It certainly is a beautiful day today. I'm going to go out and enjoy some of the sunshine when I finish this post.

BTW, TJ Kickin Core does just that. I hurt for a couple of days after doing this one. However, I still have quite a bit of weight to lose...it may be easier for you since you're already in good shape. Good luck with your workouts! I've always admired runners.

PLady100 ~ I think only you can answer your question. Like you, I have tons of workout tapes/DVDs that I have accumulated over the years. I had never stuck to doing any of them consistently until I ran across Turbo Jam. Since finding Turbo Jam (May, 2006) I have consistently exercised 5-6 times a week. I believe the key is finding something you really, really enjoy doing and then you'll stick with it. Once I got into the habit of exercise, my body loves and craves it...so now, every now and then, I'll pick up one of my older workouts just to mix it up a bit. Now, I will be working Hip Hop Abs into my routine. Like TJ, it's fun and easy for me, which will only help to keep me doing it longer. So, if you think this will be fun AND enjoyable for you, then by all means, go for it. Good luck!

Have a fantabulous Sunday everyone.

Julie

Last edited by bbobsgrl; 02-18-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #13  

Sorry I've been missing and didn't back here to reply. My grandma passed away and then I had to have a laproscopy to remove a cyst they thought was cancerous - but it's NOT!!!

I've only tried one workout of HHA - and I was disappointed in that I don't get my heartrate up like I do with Turbo Jam - it's more along the lives of Yoga Booty Ballet. I do hope though - as my middle needs lots of work - that these will be a great add-on maybe on my strength training days - I don't like to do crunches so hopefully this will be a way for me to get my ab workout in. I don't even do Chalene's TJ Ab Jam very much - shame on me. My stomach has always been the one where people have thought I was pregnant when I never was . . . so when I can get back at working out, I will be adding these to my routine. I knew I wasn't going to like them MORE then Turbo Jam . . . it would be very hard to surpass that workout but I think I will like them as I said, as an add on. I've heard the five minute tape is worth it!!!! I can do five minutes everyday! Thank goodness for the tuck in TJ though - it came in handy in catching on to Shaun's moves - or at least I tried .

Rachelle
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #14  
WW Moderator

Congrats on the surgery news!!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #15  
Waiting to Grow Up!

Hi Everyone!
I haven't done an HHA since last week. I am hoping I can get one in tomorrow and have TBB planned for Thurs.

PLady100 -- Did you decide to try HHA? Just curious

Julie -- I am so glad that you liked the workout! ITA on the soreness. I wasn't expecting it either and was pleasantly surprised. Oh... I did Kickin Core Monday and am feeling the soreness in my inner thighs, pecs and upper back! I am going to try to get this one each week. The weather has stayed nice but another front is on the way. You were right about El Nino!

Rachelle -- I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. You have been through a lot with that and the scare over the cyst and have that removed. I am so happy that it was not malignant!

I am the opposite. My HR goes up more with HHA than TJ but love them both. I have the same issues with my stomach. I am the classic apple with thin legs but thick waist and upper body. Monday, I started doing Callanetics' stomach exercises (again) hoping to make a difference. It helped me before but quit and can't remember why now. I have not tried the short ab workout from HHA yes so need to get that in too. Can't hurt!

Jennifer -- Hi!

Will keeping checking back!
-darlene-