Did the FDA ever approve....OTC Xenical?

• This was in the works last spring and I thought it would be on the market by now?

What did I miss? I can't find any other information. thanks!
  • A quick Google search shows that it's still doctor-prescribed.
  • yes, of course it is still available by prescription, but it was supposed to be approved for OTC sales. that is the information i can't locate.
  • You can't locate it because it hasn't happened.
  • Marble, from what I can tell, an FDA panel recommended approval of non-prescription orlistat last January (brand name Xenical) but final approval hasn't been sought or received yet. Xenical's manufacturer is planning on marketing the non-RX version as 'Alli' and it will be half the strength of prescription Xenical. I'm sure it will be huge news once it gets final approval.
  • Thanks Meg, I didn't realize that it was going to be marketed under another name. I did find some general info. after i used that keyword Alli, but nothing official from the manufacturer.
  • It's over the counter here in Australia, as of last year. Same dose as prescription.
  • Looks like it's been approved.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/02/07....ap/index.html
  • Thanks Suzanne...i'm sure it will be a hot seller.........I had taken it back in 2000 and it helped me take off some....and it sure keeps you *honest* about what you eat!