American Idol

You're on Page 10 of 35
Go to
  • I didn't watch last year so don't know Kelly Pickler at all until I saw her perform and all I can say is...YUCK! Yuck to the look (maybe she was trying to achieve some backwoods Marilyn Monroe look) and YUCK to the song, which was horrible and boring beyond words. I've nothing else to judge her on but when I first heard her speak I was like "awww, I bet she has a sweet, pure country voice" but unfortunately it was obscured by the insipid melody and the embarrassingly bad lyrics.

I was so glad when Alaina went home! Her attitude just really got on my nerves. I never thought she was very good but once she sang "I'm Special" and said that it summed her up then I couldn't wait for her to go. We get special coverage of Idol here in England. They show all the bits you guys see and then they also have a British woman called Cat who interviews them for the British public as soon as they leave Ryan on the stage. So we gt to see some backstage tears and tantrums.

I kind of liked Lesley. I agree she was a bit awkward onstage but she had a great voice. And personally, I like Gina precisely because she is different and not some cookie-cutter pop princess. Not that I think she'll win. I thought Lakisha was the best at first but now I'm thinking Melinda just sort of slipped in the backdoor and quietly took control, ya know?

And oh yeah, why the devil are Anotonella and Sanjaya even still in this competition? They suck beyond belief.

Of the guys, I still like Blake. He's adorable.
  • Quote: Or maybe my friend JILLY is just pickin' on me today
    Why should today be different from any other day?

And I do think McPhee had the "Barbie" look--thin, nice figure, long gorgeous hair, pretty shimmery makeup, perfect smile...not that there's anything wrong with all that if it's who you are, but I hate that it plays such a major role in how successful you are. Not that she was a horrible singer, but I'm sure many of her votes were not based on singing alone--I personally don't think she would have gotten as far as she did if she didn't have "the look."

As for the guys, not a single one of them measure up to last season's Chris Daughtry for me, but I do like Chris Sligh for his unique appearance, sense of humor, and shining personality. And I love the beatbox guy (I feel kind of bad for him that that is how he is known rather than based on his singing, but it does add to his originality--plus I think he's kinda cute with that crooked little smile and the fun hair ).

But I agree that it's a woman's competition to lose--none of the guys measure up to the vocal powerhouses in this year's group of girls.

Oh, and for those who wonder why Antonella is still in it, she is currently being supported by www.votefortheworst.com (and I believe they will be switching their VFTW support for the guys to Sanjaya from Sundance since Sundance finally stepped it up a notch after the horridness that was Hollywood week and round 1).
  • Quote: And I love the beatbox guy (I feel kind of bad for him that that is how he is known rather than based on his singing, but it does add to his originality--plus I think he's kinda cute with that crooked little smile and the fun hair ).

Me too, Jilly...100% he's my favorite guy. If Sanjaya were singing like that at a school play, I'd have been cringing, but on American Idol? Come on...how did he squeek through Hollywood?
  • Quote: Me too, Jilly...100% he's my favorite guy. If Sanjaya were singing like that at a school play, I'd have been cringing, but on American Idol? Come on...how did he squeek through Hollywood?
    I was cringing for Sanjaya last week. He needs to leave and he knows it too. However that web site Jilly mentioned keeps voting for him. You would think that AI could do something about their voting methods. Other shows do it.

Anyway the boys are back tomorrow that's Tuesday nights Gary. Check your local listings
  • Quote: You would think that AI could do something about their voting methods. Other shows do it.
    I always said (and still maintain) that it would be better to vote for your LEAST favorite rather than your favorite--vote someone OFF rather than vote to keep people. It's much easier (IMO) to pick out the one person who really stunk up the stage than to try to get votes in for all the people you think did well. Then I think the "Vote for the Worst" would be much less effective--what would they di, tell people to not vote for someone? I just don't think it would have as much of an impact that way--people who do things to purposely be disruptive or contradictory or rebellious want to DO something and see the resulkts of their actions, which happens when they rally together and vote for the worst, but if they had to just not vote at all or vote off the people who really deserved it, I just don't think as many people would be interested in playing along. It may be funny to them to vote for crappy people now, but if the voting were reversed, I think some of them would get hit with a bit of conscience when asked to vote against the really talented contestants.

Maybe
  • Quote: .....
    Anyway the boys are back tomorrow that's Tuesday nights Gary. Check your local listings
    THERE'S BOYS?

Quote: I believe PICKLER made it close to the top of the charts! With that Red Heels song!! Am I right TECWIFE? I think it's pretty good...I rest my case...well, for now!

HEY TECHWIFE ~ Where was my back-up on that?

I think I am getting a bad rap here girls! Or maybe my friend JILLY is just pickin' on me today
    Quote: Me too, Jilly...100% he's my favorite guy. If Sanjaya were singing like that at a school play, I'd have been cringing, but on American Idol? Come on...how did he squeek through Hollywood?
    Maybe the women are voting on "looks"...is he cute?

Now JILLYBEAN you know I liked Chris last year...but you also KNOW there is NO WAY I was gonna give that to ya and I understand your frustration that "we" pick people for EVERYTHING by looks...and that may be true...OK it is! But also I think if you look at the last two Idols in the competitions so far... Kelly ~ Justin ~ Ruben ~ Clay ~ Carrie ~ Bo ~ Fantasia ~ Dianna ~ Katharine ~Taylor, for the most part (excluding Carrie and Katharine IMHO) none of them will make any top 10 best looking contests. I think we, as a "voting body" deserve a little credit.

I also think with Britney whacked...er...out of the picture for the moment and Jessica Simpson dating everyone in site, that we Americans only have one true IDOL that we can trust day in and day out...god bless her little heart.... PARIS HILTON!
  • OH I almost forgot LILLYBELLE and JILLY ~ I don't like GINA because of her attitude! Not her looks! I find it amazing that these kids can look Randy, Paula, and Simon in their faces and tell THEM that THEY don't know what they are talking about! I don't think it makes the kids look like they are standing up for their "beliefs, themselves, their self respect" any of that. I just think it makes them look stupid! I really don't think any of the winners had that attitude...maybe I missed something...but pretty sure the "attitude" card some of them play didn't get them too far...if I remember right Chris never threw that card out there last year or the other top finishers.
  • i just think its really sad that its not up to the judges right now, because for the first time since ive been watching idol(every season) i really feel that the judges would make some better votes that the public. antonella and sanjay while they have mass appeal kinda make my ears hurt and i feel as if theyre just being voted for by tiny teeny boppers. do u guys remember the redhead frank sinatra wannabe from i think the 3 season...they keep them on but we know theyll never win grrrrrr im a chris sligh girl...hes too cute and i totally love melinda her voice is cray-zay. hope they actually sing well tomorrow
  • I haven't noticed much bad attitude from Gina--hey, Antonella was the one who snapped at Simon that he didn't support Jennifer Hudson when she was on the show (*sigh* crazy, delusional little Antonella ). I think she has the appearance and body language of having an attitude, if that makes sense, but I have seen her crying tears of joy to have made it as far as she has and have not heard anything particularly rude directed from her to the judges. Believe me, I hate it when the contestants get too cocky or rude--that's why I hated one of the girls from early last season (I don't even remember her name now, but she was SO conceited and just blatantly disrespectful! Definitely not "Idol" behavior).

Sorry, but IU stopped giving the "voting body" any credit when Mandisa and Chris got voted off last season (and already this season with AJ getting the boot before Sanjaya)

Oh, and on the topic of whether or not Sanjaya is good looking--IMO, his hair is just plain scary Based solely on looks, I still would have picked AJ over him (but that's just me, not the entire "voting body," apparently).
  • Some strange song choices last night from the boys.

It will be an all girls final methinks.
  • I agree, Clydegirl. The last week before the top 12 are decided, and those were their "give it all you got" song choices? Yikes...I fear that even some of the boys with great voices may have shot themselves in the foot based on song choice Let's hope the girls do better tonight (but then, don't they always? )!
  • I'll be glad to see the girls sing tonite. I don't know what is with the guys song choices. I actually thought Sanjaya made an improvement from last week, but that wouldn't have been too difficult. I was aghast at the song choice of my favorite male performer (the Navy guy, bald). What could he have been thinking? I was also disappointed with the beat-box kid's performance this time. Actually to me, the guy with the Jack Osbourne-looking hair sounded the best.

I don't think I'll be too excited to see the top 12 this season. As far as I'm concerned only about 4 or 5 of them are decent enough to keep watching. I even fell asleep during part of last night's show. LOL
  • I agree, lastnights episode was horrible. I agree with the judges that only 3 or 4 of the guys belong in the top 12. Both of the Chris', Blake and Jared. The others picked horrible songs, and were just plain disappointing
  • After tonite, I expect that Antonella and Haley? (I can't remember her name) will be going home. The ones that Simon pretty much told he wished they could sing better and basically just weren't in the same league as the others. I liked Gina Glocksen tonite and Melinda and Lakisha. All in all, I thought the girls did better than the boys.

Gary, I must have missed it if Gina has shown an attiude. I also never vote for anyone that is acting snotty or cocky at the judges. I really loved Chris Daughtry last season and felt like he got ripped off , big time. He was my choice to win.
  • Quote: After tonite, I expect that Antonella and Haley? (I can't remember her name) will be going home.
    I agree a million percent that Antonella and Haley should be going home, but then, the votes very rarely agree with me Given the remaining women, though, it seems almost a no brainer that that's how it should be, but we'll find out later tonight...