Any nursing moms want to buddy up?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Or maybe form a support group? I noticed some nursing moms are doing great, and I need some inspiration, motivation, and a support system.

I just had my 3rd baby boy in 4 years in October. I am done having babies, but now I need to get my college body back. I was heavy (hovering around 200) before I got pregnant with my 4 year old, but I want to get down to an ultimate goal of 148. Right now, I am at 202. A year ago, I was nursing my 2nd son, and losing well, but had a surprise pregnancy which halted weightloss. I am about 10 lbs more than I was when I got pg, but still- need to lose a little over 50.

I am doing small goals of 10 lbs. They aren't as intimidating as the whole weight.

Any nursing moms want to join me? Or, if there is a pre existing group out there, can I join it?

Thanks!!!
  • Hi there! I'd love to join a group too or buddy up with you!

Wow, our situations sound nearly identical!! I just had my 3rd baby in 3 years lol! I was quite overweight when I got preggo with my first son after eating my stress away in college haha (weighed about 225) then after I had him I was really good and lost all 35 lbs I'd put on during the pregnancy plus another 30 lbs all in the first 4 months. Then we got preggo with our second son (planned) and I figured I'd have just as easy a time losing the weight, but nope - it was SO hard!

I was still 216 when I got preggo with our daughter, then gained 30 lbs with her. Right now I'm about 216 again I think (haven't changed my ticker yet since I haven't "officially" weighed in this week) and would LOVE to get to my college weight of 135!! Even 150-160 would be great!

It is SO SO hard to find the time to exercise though with the little ones. Someone is always bound to be awake and needing something

Good luck to us!! Send me a PM if you'd like to chat or if anyone else wants to join up a BG would be fun!
  • Hi!
    Count me in, please! I just had my 4th baby (girl!) a month ago and am nursing.
    I managed a good start at weight loss while pg and am wanting to continue. My next to youngest (boy) will be 3 in a couple weeks and my two oldest boys are 11.5 (yep, twins). I've been fat my entire life and am finally serious about getting in shape... too bad it's taken almost 34 years to happen!

I also want to set a good example for my kids. My oldest twin is a "big boy", he weighed 135 lbs this past week at the Dr. office and I can see myself in him. THAT is scary!

I'm hoping that this forum will be a wonderful place for support and encouragement.
  • I'd love to join in also! I just had my second, a baby boy 5 weeks ago. I also have a 6 year old daughter. I was 256 when I got pregnant with my daughter, and a couple years after having her, I lost all the way down to 203, then gradually over a 3 yr period, I gained all the way up to 290 which was my pre-pregnancy weight with my son. I am now 7.5 lbs under that weight, and want to see a ONE on the scale this year! I'm nursing right now, and hope to continue to nurse until he is at least 6 months old.

I'd love to meet other nursing moms and share in our weight loss journey!
  • YAY!! Glad to know you ladies!! Let's work together to reach our goals!!

And yes, it is SOOOO hard to exercise at home, because there is always someone who needs you. I work outside the home full time too, and that can be so hard as well. I am lucky though, because my place of employment has a nice fitness center. I usually get up, get the boys ready, and I take the youngest 2 to daycare, then drive to work and get on the treadmill.

Treadmill work and running usually is my best exercise. I found a website called coolrunning.com, and they have a program from couch potato to 5k, so I am using that as my basis right now.

I have been wanting to do crunches and ab work for about 20 minutes before bed. However, I went back to work from leave last week, and by the time I get the kids to bed, I am just exhausted. My hubby and I are supposed to try to do abs together, and I think I may start enforcing that tomorrow.

So, anyway- enough babbling. How would you ladies like to do this? Should we do a daily update? I think that would be great, and would make us accountable. What do you think? We could post:

Start/current/Goal weights
    Any mini goals we may have
    What are we doing to lose weight? Meaning type of diet- probably since we are nursing, we are watching calories, but I don't want to make that assumption.
    How did we do on our diet the day before- not so much in detail, like I ate XXX at 9:30, but overall- did you stick with your daily goal? Things like that.
    Any exercise the day before?
    Any stressors,road blocks or experiences you would like to talk about? Including positive things- like someone noticing that you are losing weight!!

We could even post throughout the day, especially if we encounter a situation that would normally cause you to go to the fridge. I am a BIG stress eater, so if you are too, you could post "The kids just wouldn't calm down today, and I would have eaten ice cream, but instead I took a bath"... or something like that...

Any other suggestions?

I am so excited!!
  • Can I join too?? First time mom,turning 30 this year, little boy is almost 6 months old. Still nursing Finding it hard to find the time to do any kind of exercise as he always seem to wake up when I am ready to put the dvd in!!
    I topped out at 220 when I was pregnant, alot for my 5' frame. Got down to 186 without really even trying, then went back up to 192, would love to look a whole lot healthier come fall for my little sisters wedding.
    I am using weight watchers at home started on Jan 1, doing ok, but there are days where i feel my milk is low so I need to eat/drink a little more and things seem to be better. Also started doing Turbo Jam workout, yep out of shape!!! Look forward to the support here!!!
  • You absolutely can join us!! Welcome!!
  • May I join you also?
    Hey everyone. I hope it's ok if I join you also. I have a little boy who will be 3 in about a month and a little girl who is 1 week old. I know it's a bit early to start complaining about weight but I figure if I get a jump on it I'll be able to get a handle on my caloric needs and such before I'm released for full blown exercise. After I had our son it took me 2 years to lose 70-75 pounds and then we got this crazy idea to have another child. Yup threw that weight loss right out the window. But it was so worth it. So I weighed 219 the day I went in for my c-section and would love to get back down to 145 or so. I feel absolutely miserable right now but thank god DH is so loving. I hate my body right now. So anyway. I'm starting my calorie counting journaling tomorrow morning seeing that I get my staples out also so I an start walking more and a little easier. I'm nursing full time right now and plan to for as long as possible. I have set my first mini goal as to weigh 200 or less by my 29th birthday which is a week from tomorrow and seeing that I still have excess water weight and fluid retention due to surgery I feel confident that I'll make it. So good Luck to everyone. I know that we can all accomplish our goals we set if we support and encourage one another.

sw/cw/gw
    219/209.2/145

mini goal#1 1-25 <200

Hillarie
  • Jillid - I love your ideas! (What's your name btw?? lol!) I'm usually able to get online everyday so I will try to make sure I check in at least once a day. Maybe twice - morning to get motivated and night to make sure I stuck to it!

I was going pretty good there but really fell of the wagon this week. I got my first PPAF on 12/28 and we've been using sponges (I'm probably going to be getting the Mirena IUD at my annual check-up in March, so the sponges are temporary) but we had an oopsie on CD 12. I had no signs of impending O, but then all of a sudden CD 13 I had awful pains, fertile cervix etc and based on temps it looks like I O'd that day. So... needless to say, I've been really worried that I'll end up preggo yet again, so I've been stress eating big time! Hopefully AF shows here soon so I can stop worrying and make sure no more oops happen!!

I just bought myself a pair of size 8 jeans today - the size I was at 17 when I weighed 135-140. I'm a 14 now, so I just sat there staring at these pants, wondering how the heck I ever fit into those LOL!! I plan on hanging those jeans up on the wall near the kitchen so I can look at them whenever I feel like stuffing my face

We're planning a beach trip for last week of July so I am really hoping to lose quite a bit by then so I'm not hounded by environmentalists trying to push me back into the ocean hehe!

Do you girls notice any difference in your milk on days you don't eat much fat? My milk seems to be thinner and less fatty, so I was worried I wasn't eating enough. DD wasn't complaining at all, but it freaked me out.

Sorry for the novel - I am going to try to jump back on the train tomorrow with 30 min on the treadmill plus some floor work and sticking to my diet!! I think I might buy the Fluidity exercise bar too - looks VERY cool! Have a great day girls!
  • I posted yesterday on another nursing thread but if this is the one that is going somewhere, here I am!

My baby is 3 1/2 months old. I nursed my dd til 22 months and expect about the same with this one.

I'm losing a bit faster then recommended for nursing mom's right now, but I think it will level off soon. Ive been calorie counting since my post baby weight leveled off and starting going back up at 6 weeks. Over the last 2 months I've been eating an average of 2250 calories a day and I have lost 19.4 lbs. I do workout a fair bit though.

Fyre...I dont really notice a difference in my milk, but the past 2 days I have been hungry after dinner and having cravings and I noticed I am lower fat% than usual. I try to keep fat in the 30-35% range, mostly healthy fats, to keep my supply up and because its more satisfying to me.

I have a TON of milk though, I actually have to do things to lower my supply occasionally or he cant eat enough to get to the fatty hindmilk

I got Mirena in at my 8 wk appt this time, I am 99.999% sure we are done, but not enough to get anyone "altered"
  • whoops, well I was 194 when I delivered, but I didnt start trying to lose til 6 weeks and I was 171.8 then,

I usually exercise 5-6 days a week but I have been snowbound for a couple days now
  • I need some ideas on what types of exercise I can do. I am still in my post-partum period, won't see the doc until next week, but there has to be *something* I can do between now and then. There is walking but that gets soooo boring after awhile, especially when I'm stuck indoors on the treadmill because it's too cold to take the little one's out (and both have colds, too).

And, does anyone know where I could purchase a binder or some sort of abdomimal support? My weight has fluctuated so wildly over the years that I have a (sorry, prolly TMI) large, pendulous, fatty overhang that rubs my upper groin/pubic area (currently fighting a yeast infection beneath it, too). I really need a way to keep it uplifted, especially while exercising. I think I'm already a prime candidate for a tummy tuck but that requires $$ and I'm still far too overweight at this point and would need more surgery at a future date.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
  • go easy, but except for abdominal exercises and swimming(until discharge stops), you should be ok. Stop immediately if you feel pain or cramping in the abdomen or "hoo-hah". If after a workout discharge increases or turns bright red or clotty, rest for a couple days and start slower again. start with low impact.

spandexy aerobics shorts give light support- you can wear other stuff over them if you dont like the look. Most of them are breathable too which can help with yeast.
  • or they have stuff at maternity stores which can support just during a workout.
  • Thanks! I tried some ab crunches the other week and found that to be a big mistake (c-section and still tender)! I'm kind of skittish to try again. I haven't had any discharge/bleeding since 2.5 weeks post, thank goodness! So, water workouts would be just the ticket, hadn't thought of that.