What do you exercise to?

• I got an mp3 player for Christmas so that I can listen to motivating music as I work out at the Y (for some unnknown reason, the Y plays easy listening in its gym.....I have a hard enough time trying to stay motivated on the eliptical lol!)

I would like some really heart pumping music, something that will make me want to break a sweat. Any suggestions?? Sadly, I've turned into an old fogey where I like to listen to music, but I've no idea the name of the songs much less the names of the artists

Thanks in advance!!
  • What are your tastes like? For me, I listen to such a variety of things. I'll try to organize by category...

Current/Popular Music-

All American Rejects - Dirty Little Secret, Move Along
    Bowling for Soup - High School Never Ends
    Shakira - Hips don't lie
    SR71 - Right Now
    The Killers - Somebody Told Me, When You Were Young
    Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Classic Rock -

Eagles - Get Over It
    Eagles - Take it Easy
    Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls, Bohemian Rhapsody
    Melissa Etheridge - Giant

Punk -

Bad Religion - I Want to Conquer the World, 21st Century Digital Boy
    Green Day - Minority, American Idiot, Atomic Garden, Castaway
    NoFX - Monosyllabic Girl, The Decline, Champs Elysee, You're Wrong, etc.
    Against Me - From Her Lips to God's Ears

Country -

Rascal Flatts - Life is a Highway
    Big n Rich - Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
    Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying
    Dixie Chicks - Some Days You Gotta Dance
    The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia (great for a high-intensity interval because its so fast)

Random -

Warren G - Regulate
    All kinds of songs from musicals.
    Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe
    Squirrel Nut Zippers - ****
    80's music
    Josh Groban (for cooldowns and weight lifting)
  • Music is the ONLY thing that keeps me going on the elliptical too!

You might get some ideas from this thread: New Tunes.
  • I struggle with this too... and I get burned out on certain songs way too easily.

I am 25 and listen to the stuff my 7th graders like... so that will affect my playlist.

Benni Banasi - Satisfaction
    Fergie - Fergilious (I can't get enough of this at the gym)
    Shakira - LaTortura
    Newton - Streamline (you will love this)(from the Pepsi commercial with Jimmy Fallon)
    Pussycat Dolls - Buttons
    Kernkraft - Zombie Nation
    Maniac - from flashdance
    Cassie - Me & You
    Better than ezra - Juicy
  • I love the song "He's Going the Distance" by Cake, it makes me wanna go fast! So much so, that I have to turn the radio off if it comes on while I'm driving or I find myself speeding

I add that one onto my playlist a couple times, and whenever it comes on, I kick it up a notch!
  • Thanks for the suggestions (and link, Meg) everyone! I cannot wait to listen to these songs, and start excercising to them.

By the way, a special thank you to Mandalinn for reminding me of the Squirrel Nut Zippers, I haven't thought of them in years. I think I'll see if I can find anything from Echo and the Bunnymen!

Nancy
  • Ok, here's some classics from an oldie but goodie:

Stevie Wonder: Superstition, Higher Ground
    Yes: Roundabout, I've Seen All Good People, Long Distance Runaround
    Emerson Lake and Palmer (ELP): Trilogy - the entire dvd (the first three songs are a good 10 min. warm up; From The Beginning picks it up; The Sheriff, Hoedown and Trilogy really hit it. Don't let the song Trilogy fool you; you get a wee break but then BAM -- it is the BEST)
    Chris Isaak: San Francisco Days, Beautiful Homes, Round 'N Round
    Cat Stevens: Tuesday's Dead, Bitterblue
    Lyle Lovett: L.A. County, She's Hot To Go

Oh, and don't forget about Big Band music. Think about the way they danced to this stuff -- swing, baby, swing. It's truly phenomenal music. Just try it!

If you're under 40 you may be wondering who the heck are these bands/people. Trust me; these folks invented music.

These are just a few of my favorite things!

Jo
  • Music...Oh yes! I have a ton... I've listed some of my favorites from various types of music. IMHO, the best work out music is 1990's dance music. The beat was perfect walking/running on the treadmill.

C&C Music Factory - Everybody Dance Now
    Uncle Luke - Shake What Your Mama Gave Ya
    Blacked Eyed Peas - Pump It
    Blink 182 - All the Small Things
    Venga Boys - Boom Boom Boom
    Gap Band - You Dropped a Bomb On Me
    Taylor Dayne - Tell It to My Heart
    Gina G - Ooh Aah Just a Little Bit
    Ramones - Hey Ho Lets Go
    Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like a Lady
    Aretha - R-E-S-P-E-C-T
  • Ok, Queen, Greatest hits goes walking with me all the time!!! It is my favorite of favorites!!! Their song, "Don't Stop Me Now" is really a "pump me up" song!
    I too, have some favorites, they are what I call my "Power Songs"
    Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, Fat Bottomed Girls, Don't Stop Me Now, Now I'm Here,
    Shania: That Don't Impress Me Much
    K.C. and the Sunshine Band: Shake Your Booty, That's the Way (I like it),Get Down Tonight
    Donna Summer: Bad Girls, No More Tears (Enough is Enough)
    Rick Springfield: I've Done Everything for You, Don't Talk to Strangers
    DeFranco family: Heartbeat, its a Lovebeat
    Yes, I am lost in the 70's and 80's, but, it isn't such a bad place to be....!!!!!! Good luck finding your own mix of great workout/exercise tunes!! Just find stuff that really moves you!!!!! At least, that is what I did~