Shapely Secrets

You're on Page 14 of 20
Go to
  • Sorry to be gone so long. OK Gen and girl81. Body flex is stretch positions with the special breathing. She added a gym bar a few years later. Shapely Secrets started out with just isometic exercises and then a few weeks later she came out with those same exercise with abdonda breathing which is just like the bodylex breathing. I found Greer's book very inspiring and have done these exercise off and on for 10 yr. because I have a chronic lung disease and they just make me feel better. They are about the only exercise I can do when I don't feel good. The bodyflex postions were only held for a count of 8 to 10 where the shapely secrets are held for a count of 25. When you do the abdonda breathing you hold the breath for a count of 5 and keep holding the postion for a count of 25......really 25 seconds so you count 1000 one, 1000 2 etc. Hope this helps.
  • ty carol!
    I have the bodyflex program. Would you consider ss to be an upgrade/ more difficult?

Quote: Sorry to be gone so long. OK Gen and girl81. Body flex is stretch positions with the special breathing. She added a gym bar a few years later. Shapely Secrets started out with just isometic exercises and then a few weeks later she came out with those same exercise with abdonda breathing which is just like the bodylex breathing. I found Greer's book very inspiring and have done these exercise off and on for 10 yr. because I have a chronic lung disease and they just make me feel better. They are about the only exercise I can do when I don't feel good. The bodyflex postions were only held for a count of 8 to 10 where the shapely secrets are held for a count of 25. When you do the abdonda breathing you hold the breath for a count of 5 and keep holding the postion for a count of 25......really 25 seconds so you count 1000 one, 1000 2 etc. Hope this helps.
  • thanks Carol! that was the clarification i needed. i think i will break down and buy ss - just waiting for the extra cash that usually winds up in my christmas stocking via my wonderful mother in law!!

you have all been so encouraging on this thread... even hearing about the weeks you don't do great, and you still get right back on it - it makes me feel like i will fit right in!!
  • Wanted to thank everyone. I am waiting for my SS to come in the mail today. I have lung problems and thought if nothing else, this might be good exercises for my lungs. Might help with the low lung capacity. It helping me to lose weight would be an extra bonus.
  • Shy moment, My problem is sarcoidosis. What is yours? Remember when ordering Shapely Secrets there are several programs to chose from. I waited until she came out with the abdonda breathing and just got those. I had read about the rest and I wanted to spend the least amount possible. I had read elsewhere basically what it was all about.
  • carola
    I have a few problems, my main problem is low lung capacity caused because of scar tissue all over my lungs. This happens when you get nasty lung ailments and they are never taken care of or when you have something like a sarcoidosis disease ( which you understand ). Going to the doc was unheard of just about when I was a kid as we were very poor. Now I am paying for it. I had no idea I had sarcoidosis until I went to a new doc. All I knew was from my late 20's the docs had me on cortisones and steroids all the time trying to " clear up my lungs ". Heck they never told me what it was, could be they didn't know them selfs. Not until I had an mri and a doc said well darn they need to stop putting you on those meds they aren't working lol did I know. Doc said the work out my lungs get is a good thing. Stretches the lungs and makes them work better. There will only be so much I can do about the problem but every little bit helps. This was the main way I put on this weight. For at least 6 years I was a walking pill bottle. Now the meds are out of the system, because I am not taking them anymore lol and I am losing weight.
  • Hi Rennie. I've been on prednisone for over 2 yr. now. My problem now is high blood calcium which ruins the kidneys. I was diagnosed at age 28 and I'm now 58 so I spent about 25 yr. ingnoring it. I got really sick 2 yr. ago with kidney failure but the prednisone brought the calcium down and also the creatinine. My DH is a vet and he checks my blood every few months. I hate having it checked. I don't like the thought of upping the meds. I should say that the blood calcium problem is because of the macrophages in the little tumors in the lungs. They cause the body to hang on to the calcium. Vitamin D has something to do with it, too, and I'm not to be in the sun. Complicated, I know. Besides all this I am unisured.
  • carolr
    That is one med I stay away from. They had me on it a few times for long periods of time and it helped cause me to blow up like a balloon. Was the main cause for the going on 80lbs I put on, plus a few other drugs. Also, they had me on it at the same time i was on antibiotics for pneumonia. Do you know what that med does to antibiotics, makes them useless. They almost killed me that time. I am going in for blood work after Christmas to have everything checked again from cholesterol to minimals. I am sure they will check my calcium levels then too. I want the whole work up done. I have never had problems with calcium levels but I do want to keep an eye on it. Want to know what is going on with the body. I was reading about the kidney problem. Seems like when they try to fix us they make us worse sometimes. I am one of the lucky ones. We have insurance. We pay thru the nose for it lol but at least we have it.

Also
    Hubby got me the wrong videos I guess. These are called Shapely Secrets 7 Min workout. I wanted the ones with the deep breathing exercises. Going to do these anyway. Everything has to help nothing can hurt. He knows a lot about exercising and watched the video. Said they won't do anything fast but they will help to tone a bit.
  • Quote: ty carol!
    I have the bodyflex program. Would you consider ss to be an upgrade/ more difficult?
    bump for carol
  • carol
    What is the one called that has all the breathing exercises in it?
  • The breathing DVDs are called Abdonda breathing. It is on the SS website. I don't know if the shapely secrets is more difficult then bodyflex. Holding the postions longer does seem to be more tiring which is the basic difference between bodyflex and shapely secrets.
  • You wouldn't think those little exercises would make you tired. I have to rest a few min when I am done.
  • I finished Week 2. No change. I don't know if this is because I'm pms'ing and eating everything that isn't nailed down? LOL

I've started doing the Body Flex workout every day, and picking and choosing which SS exercises to do with it. I do like BF!

Amanda
  • well, i placed my ss order today with rush shipping.. thought i could wait until after christmas but then after all i ate at christmas parties this weekend i thought there is noooooo way i can wait to order!!!!!

can't wait to try it and let you all know how great its working.. (well, fingers crossed!!!)
  • Well I watched to commerical tonight and found this web site. After reading some of your responses I think I will stay with pilates for a few more weeks, but 7 minutes does sound Great. Thanks for you help.