Constipation Issue

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Ok, this is a little embarrassing! I seem to get so constipated, no matter what I eat, and I eat alot of fibre, and it doesn't help anything. I get so bloated that it feels like I'm not losing any weight at all. I drink lots, and have done all that, am I the only one that struggles with this? If you have struggled with it in the past, any tips to get things going again would be GREATLY appreciated!
  • I have also had this problem, no matter what type of "diet" program that I have been on. I drink a lot of water, eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. I thought that with me, that it was due to having had several abdominal surgeries. I take daily fiber choice chewable tabs to keep from being bloated and miserable.
  • Some coffee and a long run seem to do the trick for me.

In all seriousness, if you're eating right (lots of fruit and veg), exercising, drinking a lot of water, not taking any prescription meds and still having issues, a visit to your doctor is in order. Some medications and even vitamins cause constipation. For example codeine, iron and calcium can slow things down dramatically.

If you want to get things moving, try drinking a lot of water and eating nothing but fruit and veggies for 1 day. Meat sits in your gut and veggies & fruit help flush it all out.

Good luck!
  • Running...its the only thing that works for me. I dont run i dont go.

Fortunately I run a lot.
  • I do what Lilybelle does - fiber choice chewables. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit and drink a lot of water, but things don't move like they did when I ate a lot of lousy food. I just added the chewables and it helps. Good luck!
  • Genesis, you're so right. I forgot to mention that I'm on a lot of med's and that Multi- Vitamins and Calcium are two of them.

I sure never had this problem when McDonald's, KFC and Taco Bell were my "diet".
  • I have the same problem. Drinking a cappucino or coffee works for me, as does eating spicy things like chili. Of course, that can be dangerous to those around me!
  • I always had troubles as well and my diet is very fruit/veggie rich. I started eating a small bowl of bran everyday and it seems to have done the trick.
  • My mother had that problem for years when she was on an extremely low-fat diet. Once I talked her into adding more fat to her diet, no more constipation.
  • Yes, a little more fat might just do it--the right kind of fat, of course! Another thing that will help is magnesium. Sometimes calcium supplements have magnesium included for just this reason--because calcium alone can be constipating. Remember Milk of Magnesia? It's an old, tried and true fixer upper and it's still around.

Jay
  • Quote: I always had troubles as well and my diet is very fruit/veggie rich. I started eating a small bowl of bran everyday and it seems to have done the trick.
    This has also worked for me too. I was having Special K with skimmed milk everyday and for the first week this was fine but in the 2nd and 3rd week almost nothing. I had to detox to keep things regular (A strange chinese tea in the evening before bed and in the morning some salt water...this was recommened by a friend...it was horrid ). I've changed my morning cereal to Branflakes this week as a trial and everything is definately moving. I think i might alternate between the two each week...but it's so horrible...cos i ONLY drink water and eat A LOT of fruit/veg but sometimes things just ain't moving...this can be fustrating as i know to be healthy it is neccessary to get rid of waste.

Do you think it could possible be that we didn't provide our bodies with the right fuel for so long that this is what it's use to? I don't know but.... all i know is i'm gonna change it.

Try adding a fiber rich cereal to your breakfast or more water if you don't think you drinking enough. I remember i was told that to eat a lot of fruit is good but you need water to keep the fiber moving...who knows...hope this helps...
  • take 2 tsp olive oli bf bed
  • why were things 'regular' when we were eating fast food all day, everyday?
  • It also helps to elevate your feet when sitting on the toilet. Sitting that way puts you in a more natural squatting position and things just come out better. I have a small, lidded bucket that I put my feet up on when I defecate, and lean forward slightly so that its more like I would have to do if I were in the wilderness and had to go.

It's weird, but it works. I have a rectocele, so that makes going extremely difficult for me- but this helps even when fiber and magnesium don't do enough.
  • Quote: why were things 'regular' when we were eating fast food all day, everyday?
    Really?Not for me wasn't..