wellbutrin

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have depression and decided to go on antidepressants. I chose wellbutrin XL 150mg because I want the activating effects + the weight loss benefits. I know weight loss can be minimal but I am wondering if anyone here has had experience with Wellbutrin (buproprion) and if it has impacted your weight at all. Thanks!
  • I took Wellbutrin for about 2 months (disclaimer: I took it for anti-smoking, so it may have affected my metabolism a bit different) and saw no effect on my appetite or weight. According to my drug book (I'm an RN student), weight loss IS a common side effect, so maybe it just didn't affect me or I wasn't on it long enough. I do know that it made me dizzier than heck though.

Good luck and best wishes!
  • I've taken Wellbutrin off an on for a while. I am currently back on it and yes, for me it does suppress my appetite. But that is about it..............So I guess yes it can help assist in weightloss, but probably not with everybody. I wouldn't count on it at least. If it does help, then that is just an added bonus.

• I have been on that med and saw no benefits. However, I will say that I found it much easier to resist food or to not give in to cravings. So, I am still trying
  • My doctor prescribed it just for weight loss. It seemed to curb my appetite, and it made me happy, so i liked it.
  • The study group was with bulimics and they lost on average about 5 whole lbs so for weight loss only purposes this is definately NOT a good idea.

I say that because some people I have heard are going on it purely for weight loss and that is ludicris especially since a side effect is seizures.
  • i was prescribed this for depression..and it lifted my mood slightly, increased energy and slightly suppresed my appetite. although none if this would have aided my weight loss had i not been extemely motivated myself.
  • Quote:
    I took Wellbutrin for about 2 months (disclaimer: I took it for anti-smoking, so it may have affected my metabolism a bit different) and saw no effect on my appetite or weight. According to my drug book (I'm an RN student), weight loss IS a common side effect, so maybe it just didn't affect me or I wasn't on it long enough. I do know that it made me dizzier than heck though.
    I have an appt. with my MD at the end of the month regarding getting Wellbutrin. Has it helped you regarding the quitting? I quit 4 years ago, and had the NASTIEST time quitting physically (nausea, migraines, etc) and I was hoping that the WB would help. Also, does it even you out, mood-wise? I am curious if it will help regarding the FUNK I get into sometimes. Thanks!
  • I am on Wellbutrin for mild depression and have been for several years (other than when I was pregnant). I cannot say that it has curbed my appetite BUT I can say for me, the reduction in depression has made it far easier for me to avoid bingeing. I also can say I have not purged in all the time I have been taking Wellbutrin -- and I have been bulimic since age 13 (way back before it was popular, people!).
    Of course, it goes without saying but....I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV. My experience is my own.
  • I tried it and had to stop because it made me extremely nauseated and jumpy.
  • Hi there,
    I have been on 300mg of Wellbutrin since last May for depression. I have to say, I have not found it to curb my hunger at all. Although I have not binged in a long time so I guess it is helping that. It has lifted my mood and I find (along with other people I know taking it) that it has increased my libido.
    I have not had any side effects to report.
    I would say it I didn't *feel* it working for 3-4 months so hang in there, it will work eventually.
  • I tried Wellbutrin about 7-years ago for weight loss and it did nothing for me.
  • I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL for reactive depression about 4 years ago. I took it for about 10 days, I couldn't tolerate it. For me the side effects were difficulty sleeping and I was wired, jumpy, short-temper, etc.
  • Everyone reacts differently to all medications. I've been on Wellbutrin for 7 1/2 years and when I first started taking it, I dropped 40 pounds in two months. Then I kinda plateaud, didn't gain or lose, and then after time, I did gain it back. And, when I started taking it, I was smoking - not hardcore but on a daily basis - and after the first day of taking Wellbutrin, I could not stand the taste or even the smell of cigarette smoke. So yeah, like I said, it works differently for everyone. Good luck!

Lilmissme

• Welbutrin made me really dizzy. If I bent down I felt like my head did a 360 turn. Or like my brain suddenly was too big for my skull. And this was after being on it onlya day or two.