Staying Healthy through the Holidays

• This time of year can be the easiest time to get sick with all of the stress, lack of sleep, travel and just the cold winter air outside. How do you stay healthy to ensure you dont get sick over Christmas? I am taking Cold FX, this Canadian product that recently came out in the US everyday because it says it boosts your immune system as well as making sure i am getting plenty of sleep every night. Is there any other recommendations to stay healthy?
  • I'm generally a hand-washing fanatic anyway, but I wash my hands even more often this time of year. There are so many more people out there right now, shopping, and they don't care if they are sick or not. They are shopping. Touching. Sneezing. They aren't home under the covers recuperating. I scrub my hands a lot more often.

It's not a phobia. It's not a phobia. It's not a phobia.
  • Regular exercise has been shown to boost your immune system. I make sure to schedule it into every day, no matter how busy I get.
  • I've found that since I've started exercising lots and eating more fruits and veg that I hardly ever get sick. I haven't been really under the weather for a year or two... I've had a day or two off work here and there but nothing like a full-blown cold or anything
  • Meg you beat me to it!
  • I take a daily multivitamin everyday and make sure I each some sort of citrus to get an added dose of Vitamin C. Also I exercise five to six days a week.
  • I try not to give in to the temptation to short-change sleep. I need my 6-8 hours and if I stay up just to get a thing or two done, then I go downhill fast. Also, exercise.
  • Sleep. Obsessive hand washing combined with obsessive hand sanitizer. And when I start feeling ucky, I take a day in the beginning to rest, drink lots of Emergen-C (vitmin c product, not so yummy but tolerable and gives you a massive energy boost) and if I know I'm getting a cold I'll do the zinc lozenges too.
  • Oh i wash my hands all of the time, i am a germaphobe by nature. I try and exercise but it definitely gets harder in the winter with so little sunlight. Also lizziness, the Cold-Fx i have started taking is instead of emergen-C. Its new and i am trying it because i have heard good things about it. Know anything about this? Keep your fingers crossed we all stay well over the next few weeks.
  • My DH bought some Airborne. We'll see if it works. You're supposed to use it if you are planning on being in an enclosed area where you could be subjected to germs (a classroom or airplane) or if you start experiencing cold/flu symptoms.

I am exercising (yeah!!) but I did get a small cold (must have been those days on jury duty without the Airborne LOL!).

I don't often get sick. I had the flu 4 years ago, but I think that was because of a lot of stress (moving, job stress, hosting a huge Christmas party, having 5 house guests for Christmas) as well as not having heat for over a week while the rains were hounding us.
  • Get your flu shot!

Liz