Seeking Advice About An Exercise Routine

• Ok.. I have a question for the exercise experts. I don't have the money to have a gym membership right now and the only exercise equipment that I have are a rowing machine and a stepper. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or recommendations on what I can do for a good exercise routine. Oh I do have a pilates book.

I am just having a hard time figuring up a good routine and the amount of time/reps I should be doing. I want to get in a good cardio plus I would like to incorporate some time of muscle toning exercises as well. Any and all suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I think if I could have a good set schedule/routine, that I would be more apt to stick to it. Right now I don't have any structured exercise routine. Help this clueless gal.

Also, is my stepper considered a cardio machine? Thanks all.
  • Quote: Ok.. I have a question for the exercise experts. I don't have the money to have a gym membership right now and the only exercise equipment that I have are a rowing machine and a stepper. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or recommendations on what I can do for a good exercise routine. Oh I do have a pilates book.
    Plan on trying to workout 4-5 times per week, for about an hour. You should aim to be doing a bit of strength training (weights and all that) for about 15-20 minutes, and then spending the rest of the time doing cardio.

Quote: I am just having a hard time figuring up a good routine and the amount of time/reps I should be doing.
    Get some small weights (if you don't have any). If you're strapped for cash, try using canned foods or bottles of water - 2-5 lbs or so. Do bicep curls, and some other upper-body lifts.
    You should also - if you can (or something to work towards) do 'body weight' exercises. Try doing 3 sets of 12 lunges, or 3 sets of 10 pushups, or 3 sets of 15 situps. You can also do dips off of a kitchen chair (or similar) to work your shoulders and triceps.

I usually do five strength exercises every day, with three sets of 8 - 12 reps. That way, it's not too much, and it lets me get some good strengthening in.

Quote: I want to get in a good cardio plus I would like to incorporate some time of muscle toning exercises as well. Any and all suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I think if I could have a good set schedule/routine, that I would be more apt to stick to it. Right now I don't have any structured exercise routine. Help this clueless gal.
    Pick 5 strengthening exercises to do - bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc - and do three sets of each. Make sure you can *feel* your muscles working, otherwise the exercises aren't going to do much good

Hop on the treadmill or rowing machine for, to start off, 20 minutes (you can and *should* increase this time as you go on). If you can do more, do more time.

Quote: Also, is my stepper considered a cardio machine? Thanks all.

Both your machines are cardio, just make sure they're high enough so your heart rate is ~120 beats per minute.

I hope this helps! and Good luck!!
  • Thank you so much for responding. To read that really gives me a better direction on where I need to be headed. I was pretty lost on what I should be doing. Now I definitely have a plan of action for my exercises. Hopefully with a new change up I will be seeing a change in my weight loss. Thanks again for the help.
  • AnnieFannie,

Good morning! I don't have the money for a gym (and I don't live close enough to one either) or equipment either. I just use videos of exercises. And I also add in weights, stretchies, and so on to add to it. I use Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos. If your limited on money get the 4 mile super challenge. It has 4 different exercises and levels right there on one DVD! I also use the Crunch dance exercise videos and Denise Austin's videos too. Oh.... and I have Leslie Sansone's yoga and pilates too. I have not done them yet though. I will be soon! All of my videos are $15.00 or less each!! You can find them anywhere really. I got most of mine from www.amazon.com though. Good luck to you!
  • Thanks for responding Tracy. I really want to get some videos/DVDs, but I don't really have the room in my front room to do much. It's very tiny. Plus I live in an apartment house living on 3rd floor. I have to watch out on much noise I make or the will complain. I tried using my stepper one night and they came knocking on my door asking me if I could stop. Seems it is ok for them to make a lot of noise. Oh well, hoping to get out of here soon and be back with family. And then I definitely plan on having some workout videos.
  • Quote: Thanks for responding Tracy. I really want to get some videos/DVDs, but I don't really have the room in my front room to do much. It's very tiny. Plus I live in an apartment house living on 3rd floor. I have to watch out on much noise I make or the will complain. I tried using my stepper one night and they came knocking on my door asking me if I could stop. Seems it is ok for them to make a lot of noise. Oh well, hoping to get out of here soon and be back with family. And then I definitely plan on having some workout videos.
    I totally understand about small living rooms lol. Mine is like 14 x 12 lol. I live in a mobile home. It is very small here. But I make due. But I do understand about your neighbors. However, if they make noise and bother you.... why not just exercise for an hour a day and not worry about them? I mean, if it is a respectable hour they really can't complain! And if they are making noise to.... thats there problem then. I am such a rebel hahah. But I do understand where your coming from. I always hated having people living below me. I hope your able to find something that will work though.
  • I guess, I am a bit of a rebel too. Because I tell hubby if he wants to row to do it but he doesn't want to do it past 5pm. He thinks that it will make too much noise. I tell him they make more noise then we do. Atleast we don't go around slamming doors and making the apartment shake.

I do have my stepper and the rowing machine. I just think they need to realize that it is an apartment and we have to deal with the noise that others make. Even if we don't like it.
  • Quote: I guess, I am a bit of a rebel too. Because I tell hubby if he wants to row to do it but he doesn't want to do it past 5pm. He thinks that it will make too much noise. I tell him they make more noise then we do. Atleast we don't go around slamming doors and making the apartment shake.

I do have my stepper and the rowing machine. I just think they need to realize that it is an apartment and we have to deal with the noise that others make. Even if we don't like it.
    Exactly! I totally agree! This is life! And like I said, as long as it is a respectable hour (before 9 or 10 pm) they really cannot complain. Gosh, I remember apartment living. I hated it. Hey, if they cannot deal with the minor noise you all make to exercise then they can always move!
  • Hopefully, if I have my way, I will be out of here this month. I don't see them moving. I heard they have lived here for over 15 years.
  • Quote: Hopefully, if I have my way, I will be out of here this month. I don't see them moving. I heard they have lived here for over 15 years.
    WOW! That is a long time! Well, I hope your able to get out of there this month! Moving is a bummer..... but in the end most of the time it is awesome.
  • Hey Annie - an alternative to weights that doesn't take up much space is resistance bands. I got mine for like 6 bucks at TJ Maxx...they have different levels of resistance as well. Very quiet, too.