A tip to help you drink more water.....

• I am not sure if anyone has tried this, but a friend of mine told me to use a straw when drinking my water. I have no idea why, but you end up drinking a ton more water each day - at least I do along with other friends I know! I can drink double the amount if I am using a straw.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. For awhile there I would forget to drink enough water which is really bad if you are exercising often, but I have to say this little trick really did work for me.

Blessings,
    Melanie
  • I drink out of a water bottle that I keep with me everywhere I go and keep filling up. I also have goals to finish at different times durring the day. I end up drinking 5-6 liters a day but I pee all the time!!
  • yes i drink out of a straw when i drink water everyday. i drink up to 4-5 cup a water a day. that do make it easier.
  • Another way to drink more water is to add some unsweetened cranberry juice (not cocktail) to your water, half a cup per quart. It is very refreshing, good for you, low in calories, more interesting than water alone...

Carla
  • the flavor packets form crystal light added to bottled water help me get the required water down. I especially like the lemonaid right now.
  • dont mixing drink mix in the water takes away the natural way for u to drink water or something like that? .....lol
  • I've been adding a squeeze of lemon or lime.. helps make it more drinkable.. I'll have to try the straw..

I saw some thing about some spa giving their guests hot water to drink saying it is better than cold.. anyone know anything about that? Is it an old wives tale?
  • Thanks for the tip. This week the thing that has propelled me to drink more water is eating a cookie, or 2, or 3....I drink a liter of water in no time flat. Amazing what a cookie can do....but I guess they are also what got me to this point in the first place.
  • Smart Water?
    I've noticed that I drink more water when I drink out of "Smart Water" Water bottles. "Smart Water" is a brand and it has a scale on the side... I have 3 1.5 liter bottles and I can usually get down 1 or 2 a day. I just keep filling them at the tap. The scale helps...I'm not sure why... maybe I'm a bit crazy

Mackenzie
  • I don't think I could handle hot water instead of cold. I don't see how it would be any better for you, either. After all, water is water, so I don't understand how heating it up would change anything. After all, a cooked vegetable isn't better for you than a raw one
  • I had a friend once who used to drink her water with a couple of slices of lemon. I started doing that also, I liked the taste. I think it was the only time I ever drank so much water. Actually one of my weird cravings when I was pregnant was water.
    I also heard somewhere that adding a slice of cucumber will also give it a fresh taste.
  • I use sport bottles. They're just easy for me to transport and drink while driving a stick shift. No fiddling with the cap, etc. And I can keep them in the fridge so I have a cold bottle of water on hand. If it's not cold, I won't drink it. Buying the sport bottles helped me to get my water intake up.

As for straws...

Don't know if they make you drink more water, but I always heard drinking beer with one gave you a buzz faster. LOL
  • I've never heard that about hot water... I think its made up lol

I have heard quite a few times, that you burn a few more calories by drinking cold water... because your body has to spend energy to heat the water up. Here's a pretty good explanation of it. http://science.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm

I will have to try the straw thing, I do tend to drink more if I use a straw

~Liz
  • On the same note of making it easier to drink more water, check out this thread I posted;

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...509#post913509
  • I was at a hotsprings spa once and we were given the hot water to "heal on the inside"--just something to keep you in the spa frame of mind, i guess. But I have also heard that if you are really exerting yourself and run a chance of dehydration, drinking room temp water is best because it will hydrate you faster since your body doesn't have to heat it up before it gets to use it. I however, certainly do not want to rush to a bottle of warm water after exercising! (shudder!)