Low Carb candy and foods

• What's the deal with the low carb candies and foods? I am currently on Induction and really want this to work this time. I bought some bars, candies, stuff made with Splenda. The packaging says "ZERO CARBS" or very low carbs, but is that true? Can I use them in Induction? I get so confused. I thought I was doing good until I read a post about the candy. Ugh.....Does anyone know??????
  • Rule of thumb is stay away from this stuff during induction and also reported is the low carb stuff with "sugar alcohol" causes "stalls" is weight loss so they are also recommended after induction and only in moderation.

I have been told during induction to stay away from pre-packaged and convienence foods. Stick with veggies and meat- basically all natural stuff nothing pre-prepared.

Just what I have heard and basically what the book says also.
  • ALSO.....on a not so nice note....be careful those candies and bars and things have a laxative effect, eat to much and you'll be in the potty all day long maybe horrible gas and stomach cramps too.
  • Amen on the gas!
  • OOOOH I found carb-modified chocolate! Cadbury Lite...1.1g carb per serve. I'm really excited
  • What about the sugar alcohols?
  • The russell stover low carb chocolate caramels- taste like caramel cadbury eggs... I decided to not buy any more since my two favorite chocolate treats are the caramel eggs (easter only) and tootsie rolls... don't have them to tempt you then you wont eat them!
  • You know, sugar alcohols aren't even mentioned on our nutritional labels. Nor is fibre, unless the manufacturer can be bothered.

I might steer clear of them anyway, I only had a bit of the candybar yesterday and it gave me the runs!
  • Yup. Sugar alcohols are good for what ails you....especially if what ails you is constipation!
  • D'oh! Had an Atkins Advantage bar today...will I learn?
  • I eat them when I want to flush my system out. No need to worry about "back-ups" when eating those things
  • the adkins advantage bars are wonderful.
    I eat one every morning with a hot cup of tea.
    It has helped me eat breakfast which I never did before and fills me up for hours.
    I eat them very slowly and am amazed day after day at how they fill me up and keep me satisfied.
    Advantage has never given me the laxative effect.

But ohhhhhh those choc covered almonds !
    You will only forget once to eat in moderation LOLOLOL
  • Has anyone tried the Morning Start bars? I saw my local GNC carries the Cinnamon Bun and the Apple Crisp varieties...what are they like, and can they cause stalling problems?
  • I love the Apple Crisp Morning Start Bars. I'm not crazy about the Cinnamon Bun ones. I carry them for when I can't flip home for lunch before heading off to an appointment.
    I can't answer about whether it stalls because I'm not sure if it's that that causes me to not lose weight or if it's the other things I eat. And everyone's different and reacts different to things.