Post Workout Protein Powder

• Hi all! I looked up some info on Protein Powders from previous posts. I have the kind that is way low in carbs and sugars and high in protein. It's Body Fortress.

I'm not looking to use it as a meal replacement but I am hitting the gym and doing weights and Zumba. I'd like to be able to get that high amount of protein in quickly after a workout for muscle recovery. What are your thoughts?
  • I get my protein after a ride usually from eggs or turkey. I ride so when I am finished I am usually pretty hungry. I do use Isoprope protein protein powder in my morning smoothie. I prefer to eat my protein rather than drink it. Plain lift Greek yogurt with walnuts if a great P1 protein boost too. You do need protein for muscle recovery.
  • Yep, I normally eat real food too after a workout. I eat a lot of canned fish.

If I am in a real pinch I will use powder (Isoflex is my go-to) but real food is just so much better. I try to time my workouts either before breakfast or before lunch.
  • I work out most times in the morning before work so its easiest for me to do a protein shake afterwards for breakfast that I can drink on the way. I use Gold Standard Whey Isolate - either Chocolate Peanut Butter on its own, or Cinnamon Graham Cracker with a banana blended in. It's also low carb/fat (4/2g respectively) and high protein (24g) per scoop and I do a double
  • I'd like to learn more about this as I transition into a more intensive exercise regime. Give me a small primer - if I wake up, have coffee, and then do exercise before any food, I should eat a high protein meal immediately after working out? Or just my first meal after working out (even if it's 1.5 hours later?) I need to build muscle and endurance.
  • MmcKellen - you want to get protein in you as soon as possible after a workout. And, lots of water. These two things will help you muscles recover so you can build strength and muscle.

I would prefer real food too but the issue for me is time. On the weekends, that is a no brainer. I can cook when I get home. The problem is a mid day workout during the week. If I hit the gym, I will eat a light lunch about a half hour before I head out and then I'm crunched for time. Going back and making a meal often doesn't work. Or sometimes I head from the gym to another meeting outside of my office. Something mobile maybe twice a week would be a solid option.