Homemade iced coffee??

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • One of my favorite parts of summer is iced coffee! However, it seems the only way you can get it aside from making it yourself is at a coffee shop like Starbucks or fast food places, and while that's not necessarily unhealthy depending on what you order, it can get expensive! So, naturally, I want to try making it myself to save $$. Have any of you ever tried this? How did it turn out and what have you found is the best/easiest/quickest way to make it? Do they make iced coffee makers? Tell me your iced coffee secrets!
  • Yes! And the best way I have personally found to make it is the cold brewed method. It tastes less bitter that way than hot brewing and pouring over ice.

I simply place about 1 cup of coffee grounds into a container with 4 cups of water and let it sit overnight on the counter. The next morning I drain it all thru a coffee filter (I use the one that came with my coffee maker) and then place it in the fridge.

To make my drink I fill a glass full of ice, fill half way with the concentrated coffee, top it off with one part half n half and one part coffeemate sugar free french vanilla creamer!

Yum!
  • I've made it with those instant coffees. They're usually good for 6-8 oz. of water. Just boil a little water (1 or 2 oz), stir the coffee in, then add cold water. I usually put some almond milk and splenda or sugar in with mine. You can also use sugarfree syrups for a low calorie drink. Pour over ice once you mix everything else together, or you can use a drink shaker.
  • I use a Keurig and just make a regular cup of coffee and then pour it in a big tumbler full of ice. I drink it pretty fast before all the ice melts, so it doesn't really get that watered down. Plus, I buy the extra bold coffee.
  • I take coffee I made hot, and if I don't drink it all I pour it in a cup and put it in the fridge. The next afternoon, if I want a cold drink I have it with some milk or cream added in. Actually, I sometimes add it to smoothies with yogurt, peanut butter, banana, etc. too.
  • I have used the method on the link below. I love her posts. Delicious and easy!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Iced_Coffee
  • Quote: One of my favorite parts of summer is iced coffee! However, it seems the only way you can get it aside from making it yourself is at a coffee shop like Starbucks or fast food places, and while that's not necessarily unhealthy depending on what you order, it can get expensive! So, naturally, I want to try making it myself to save $$. Have any of you ever tried this? How did it turn out and what have you found is the best/easiest/quickest way to make it? Do they make iced coffee makers? Tell me your iced coffee secrets!
    Hi,
    I add brown sugar to the ground coffee and water mix before putting in the refrigerator to “brew”. It’s delicious! (and no annoying sugar crystals I make this in a 1 qt jar, so it’s 3/4 cup course ground coffee, 1/4 – 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 quart of water. Thanks for sharing how long it will last. Not knowing how long it would store is why I make small batches.
  • I just brew coffee normally then put it in the fridge or freezer depending on how soon I want it. Throw in a couple ice cubes and voila, cheap and easy iced coffee. I like having flavoured syrups with my iced coffee.
  • I just brew a big pot of strong coffee, drink what I want hot, and put the rest in the fridge for the next day. Pour it over some ice with a bit of milk and a dash of splenda. Yum! Not exactly quick, but tasty.
  • Another cold-brewed fan here! It's strong but mellow, much of a sweeter taste without any sugar!
  • I've worked in a coffee shop for 100,000 years and experimented there to find my favorite way. I use a french press and brew it extra strong (almost double the grounds). Then I chill it with some ice in a pitcher. I don't like sugar in my coffee, so I just add milk by the glass and sometimes flavor extracts. I only make enough to use within 24 hours, preferably only 8.

I wanna try out the cold brew method.
  • Quote: I take coffee I made hot, and if I don't drink it all I pour it in a cup and put it in the fridge. The next afternoon, if I want a cold drink I have it with some milk or cream added in. Actually, I sometimes add it to smoothies with yogurt, peanut butter, banana, etc. too.
    How is it--coffee and yogurt or coffee and banana? 'Good and adds sweetness' or 'truly an acquired taste'?!

I like the idea of not using sugar....but....
  • Quote: I have used the method on the link below. I love her posts. Delicious and easy!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Iced_Coffee
    I'm trying this method today. I'll let y'all know how it turns out! I just used Maxwell House dark roast that we already had by the coffee maker, lol. But I'm thinking I might use a better coffee next time. I'm really loving Starbuck's 3 Region blend, and I might pick some up next time I'm in the store after I move. Apparently that's only a seasonal brew though, and that makes me sad!
  • Veggiedawg, I'm going to say it's an acquired taste and to try at your own risk. If I find it not sweet enough, I throw some shredded coconut in it, or more banana. Or sweetener of your choice.
  • Success has been had! I just enjoyed a nice cup of iced coffee concocted with unsweetened almond milk, sugar free maple and chocolate syrup, and a Mini ID hazelnut creamer thingy. It was dericious and under 100 calories! Yay!