D.o.m.s.

• ...or delayed onset muscle soreness. I was wondering what you ladies do when this happens after a particularly grueling workout. Obviously, I'm not talking about a stabbing or hot pain indicating something is really wrong but rather the soreness that you feel a few hours later or even the next morning.

For example, my abs are killing me today. When I sneezed before, it wasn't pretty. And my arms 'hurt' from the weights I did the other night. Or maybe I'm just old, lol. I know in my mind that my muscles are repairing themselves but it doesn't make the soreness go away any faster. I did take some Advil before so I could function with both my sons pulling me in fifty different directions.

What's your remedy? Just curious.
  • i take Aleve if i absolutely have to...otherwise having DH massage my muscles works well too...also a good night of sleep helps
  • Cardio and time. Getting blood moving through the sore parts helps some, but you also just have to wait for it to fade.
  • I seem to be able to avoid muscle aches through good warming up and lots of water and the right proteine/carb foods around my excersise. I also just don't push myself so hard that I end up with muscle ache. The 'pain' is why I never stuck with sports before, so I avoid it if I can.

And when I cant - I deal with it. I kinda constantly have to push in it to see if it still hurts. Maybe Im a masochist . It gives me a feeling of accomplishment.
  • You know surprisingly my run yesterday did alleviate some of the muscle soreness and I thought it would aggravate it. A good night's sleep does help, I will concur. Although I doubt my DH would give me a massage, lol. Maybe I could ask one of my sons to rub my shoulders...maybe.
  • I kind of enjoy the muscle ache. It's proof that I worked hard and that my body is working to build new muscle. Love it!

Stretching can help a little too. Or, it feels nice when your muscle are sore.
  • I actually don't mind the muscle soreness usually because, as you stated, it's proof-positive that I gave my workout 110%. I did do Pilates last night for 30 minutes and that helped but this morning I felt like I was 89 instead of 39, lol. I'm sure in another few days, I'll be fine.
  • I agree... no matter how intense the muscle soreness, I love it!
  • Urrgh... I hate the DOMS. I berate myself when I get this because it is so frustrating for me. I feel like I can barely get thru the day let alone trying to do another workout.

For instance, last night I did the Billy Blanks Ultimate Boot Camp dvd and it totally kicked my butt. I should have taken it a bit easier but I just can't help pushing hard. Today I pay the price.

To try and ease the misery I did some yoga which felt great.
  • Don't forget to eat some protein soon after a good workout, preferably within a half hour or so. I used to get very sore after swimming, which I figured was part and parcel of exercise, but then started throwing down half a protein bar as soon as I got out of the pool - and poof!, no more post-swim soreness.

Turns out my muscles were essentially eating themselves to recover and rebuild, and I was actually kind of doing a two-steps-forward, one-and-a-half-steps-back thing by not eating properly. Live and learn.
  • Yeah, I do the whole protein thing. But I hate to admit it, I might feel twenty, I am most not, lol.
  • Protein, stretching, light cardio, motrin after exercising... the same as has been said. I kind of enjoy being sore, but the times where I can't move are really not fun!

Back when I was heavy in to cycling training (pre-kids, haha) I sat in a cool/cold water bath following long bike rides. That seemed to make a tremendous difference the next day.