The art of listening to your body

• So Wednesday I hit a wall. I got the total f*ck its. I was sick of thinking about exercise and losing weight. To make matters worse, some people I worked with ordered pizza for lunch. When the smell hit me, I literally got weak in the knees and felt lightheaded. I went and did my pilates and yoga at lunch, but felt tense. I got home that night and did my regularly scheduled 45 minutes on the treadmill and it just about killed me. I had to push myself the ENTIRE time. 45 minutes feels like forever when you are pushing yourself the whole time. And afterwards, I didn't feel good. I felt achy and TIRED.

So yesterday I decided I was going to give my body a rest. I felt sore and unhappy. I didn't do a lunch workout and when I got home, I did a light 15 minutes of yoga stretches, ran some hot water in my jacuzzi tub, poured some Epsom salt in, lit candles, and settled into a 40 minute bath with my Stephen King book.

Holy moley. Today, I felt totally refreshed. I did my lunch hour pilates and yoga and after getting home did my 45 minutes on the treadmill without a hitch.

This just goes to show me that I really need to listen to my body. The problem is of course, that while my body tells the truth, my mind LIES. So differentiating between my body truly needing a rest, and my stupid lazy mind telling me that I should rest are 2 very different things. It's hard for me to know who is talking!
  • I like to have a rest day in between my workouts. My performanced is usually much better than going every day. I'd pace myself so I didn't get burned out (which it sounds like that is what is happening to you).

All the best!
  • My trainer keeps telling me to rest more... I have trouble resting so I only do it on Sundays. I am always scared I will lose my momentum... but whenever I do take extra breaks or have a "cheat" meal I think my body does thank me.