Any Cyclists Out There?

• Hi All,

My favorite physical activity is riding my bicycle. I was never an "athlete" until I got into cycling about five years ago. My first year I rode 6000 miles, and since then about 4500 miles a year.

I gained about twenty pounds over a couple years, and now want to lose it, in part to feel better on the bike. I have lost my edge. It is frustrating.

I have never figured out how to eat as an athlete though. I know nutrition basics, but am not sure how to eat and drink on long rides to sustain my effort and not eat too much sugar. What do other's do?

I am also trying to figure out how to ride through the winter. I have gotten better winter gear, but still need to figure out how to keep my hands warm.

Anyway, would love to connect to any other cyclists in the community.
  • I'm not a "cyclist" as I've just recently begun riding for any distance, but I found when I was training for my first sprint triathlon that higher amounts of protein sustained me longer. In particular, I drank a protein drink after and ate more lean protein a few hours before my brick workouts.
    For your hands, are hand warmers an option? Good luck!
  • *raises hand*

I dont do it for.. "athletics" I guess just more because I have degenerative joint disease and it seems to ease the pain and I cant run..

For winter.. I have a stationary. But what I want is a kit to convert my bike to a stationary for the winter. It is just to cold here in the winter to ride

I dont think I have changed my diet.. Just counted calories..

Sorry if I am not much help
  • DH got me the inside rack for the winter, love it... I should get him to install it soon ... As for nutrition, keep it as clean as possible, I agree that protein keeps me going longer too, for any sports I find protein helps...I eat before going out, I'm never gone long enough to need foods during a ride, and when I come back I eat a portion of carb and protein again... lots of water of course... When I have gone out for a few hours a sports drink has helped, don't drink too many of those they are laden with calories and sodium...
  • I am not a cyclist per se, but I do love to cycle. I have an indoor stationary bike, and I am starting to cycle at the gym to build up my mileage. I'm hoping to do part of the Trans Canada trail next spring/summer with my friend. We want to do 200km, but broken into 4 50kms each day. I just hope that riding on a stationary cycle is somewhat like riding a real bike outdoors.

Congrats on all the mileage that you have cycled, hirakukibou! That's awesome! I was thinking you can get some of those hand warmer things that you put inside your mitts or gloves to keep warm. I know some kids that got me to try them, and they work for quite awhile.
  • Thanks for all your replies and tips on eating.

Jojo -- Your cycling goals sound great! Although I do think that training inside helps build muscles and endurance, riding outside, on real terrain with hills and such is quite different. However, building general fitness makes a difference on the bike. I am figuring out how to keep my fitness during this winter -- I will do some winter riding, some on the trainer (stationary bike) if I can stand it, and then weights and yoga. We will see how it goes. I actually do a one day 125 mile ride for AIDS charity each year. This is the longest I have ridden in one day. Maybe next year I will do a double century (200 miles in a day). We will see. Thanks for sharing.
  • I bike. I haven't done much winter biking (I'm in Mass too) because of darkness and cold but I love to go in the spring and summer. I did the Cape Cod Rail Trail last summer, 48 miles round trip, with a short stop at the beach to swim in my biking clothes in the middle. And in the summer I bike to the beach for a swim after work most days.

I found that my yoga helped my biking - made my core and wrists stronger so that biking was more comfortable.
  • And on long rides (although not 150 miles!) I eat a Probar and a sandwich. The key for me seems to be eating a larger breakfast, and then eating a few hundred calories at a time through out the day before I get hungry otherwise I just get miserable. The Probars are good because they are about 380 calories, so you can just take small bites here and there and your getting a bunch of calories without having to have too much in your stomach.
  • Seagirl -- The AIDS ride I do goes on the Cape Cod Railtrail and I have also ridden it with a close friend of mine that lives on the Cape. It is beautiful. I also find that yoga helps with the cycling -- both in terms of core strength and flexibility.
  • On my training rides for Ironman we took in about 275 calories an hour. Some people need a bit more... but it's not a bad place to start from. In my case that was a combo of sports drink calories and solids (Clif Bar etc)

I got in about 2400 miles this year which probably isn't as much as I should have done in my training but not bad considering last year I think I did 600 miles. Big Jump! I did a few centuries (for the first time)