endermologie and lymphatic drainage

• had no idea what forum to post this in....

I have recently become quite intrigued with the possible benefits of lymphatic drainage and/or endermologie.

However it seems like there are a ton of options:
    - manual lymphatic drainage massage (just using hands and light pressure)
    - dry brushing (pretty straighforward)
    - biopress machine (some sort of machine, that may or may not involve some sort of suit that applies pressure to different parts of your body)
    - Lymphobiology (totally different type of machine, uses light little sucker type tubes to lightly facilitate flow...this seems much like massage?)
    - Endermologie (this looks like some sort of different machine or machines that like sucks and rolls at the same time?)

I have not found any decent resources adequately defining each of those options (especially after the first 2). And definitely cant find anything comparing or contrasting.

It seems like many plastic surgeons as well as other surgeons for non-elective procedures suggest this type of thing to aid healing and recovery, reduce scar tissue and help the lymph system.

It is also used for people with lymphedema, whether acquired or hereditary.

People also make claims that it can help eliminate cellulite. Sure its not a "cure", but it does seem that improving a lagging lymph system in the extremities could help the typical eliminate of fat created thru diet and exercise.

Does anyone have any experience or know of good resources for information?

I have a session scheduled for the Biopress next week. And am trying the Lymphobiology also I think.
  • I have read in multiple places that rebounding (jumping or jogging on a mini-trampoline) does wonderful things for the lymphatic system. Added bonus - rebounders are fairly cheap at sports supply stores, and hey, it's cardio too if you jog fast enough (I started my weight loss exercise on a rebounder. You definitely break a sweat!).

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise...tic-system.htm

http://www.wellbeingjournal.com/inde...task=view&id=3
  • Oh yes, I did read that as well.

However when I tried to figure out why a mini-trampoline was good as opposed to any other movement I couldnt find anything out. It just seems to say that it improves circulation because it is cardio. Wouldnt any cardio be as effective.
  • From what I understand, it has to do with the repetitive up and down bounce. Sort of a "jarring" that gets the lymph flowing better than other forms of exercise might. At the bottom of your jump, you are essentially at 2x gravity as your momentum moves you downward and the rebounder moves upward (as opposed to say, running, where your momentum is down but there is no upward pressure). This means you're getting twice the force to get the lymph going. I'm not an expert, but it did feel like something positive was going on in my body when I did it.
  • Wow mandalinn, that's brilliant, I never thought about that! My aunt took me for a lymphatic drainage before, the biopress machine xty is speaking of is what I went in, which was sort of like wearing rubber pants (LOL)
    It felt really nice and was very invigorating it definitely felt like something good happened there. But the feeling, is like what you get from bouncing on a trampoline! I haven't been a trampoline in so long that I couldn't associate the feeling until now, but it totally makes sense now.

I'm going to have to go get a rebounder, it's definitely missing from my workout now in my mind and plus I get free lymphatic drainage (sorta).
  • mandalinn82 - that makes SO much sense now, thanks! Im so getting one, any brand suggestions on the cheaper side?

RienQueNny - neat to hear of someone that did try the biopress. I will report back after I try it
  • Interesting topic.....I actually have a trampoline in the yard but I can't tolerate the jumping sensation which makes me nauseated! Anyone wanna come over and use it?