New to Veggies!

• Well, I know there's a thread like this somewhere... but instead of searching, Im starting my own! lol
    Anyways, I've been calorie counting & trying to eat healthier with those fewer calories. Im doing good with lean meats & whole grains- and I love fruit... but those dreaded veggies!!
    The funny thing is I've been afraid of them my whole life, when I finally started giving them a chance this last year, I actually like them! I just have NO idea how to eat them or cook them- which is why Im here
    Just for a starting point- here are somethings that are edible to me/ the only veggies I know how to cook..
    - Broccoli/edamame in the bags that you just pop in the microwave to steam
    - I love yellow squash & I know how to steam that on the stove..
    - I love soft carrots (hate raw carrots! & celery for that matter ) but have no idea how to cook them besides in a roast which would def not be healthy if I ate that all the time lol
    - Sweet potatoes- I love em cut in half & put face down on tin foil in the oven for an hour! So soft & all the sweetness comes out & gets crispy mmm

Well thats about it! Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Im off for 4 days a week so most of those are do-able; but I do need some quick ideas for when Im doing my 13 hours shifts the other 3 days a week.

Thank you all!!!
  • The great thing about vegetables is that most of them can be eaten raw, which is really handy if you don't have much time. I usually boil mine for about 2 or 3 minutes so that they are still crunchy, then I use the same water to make a light gravy (with one chicken stock cube) which I pour over them and the rest of my dinner. Or just steam them!
  • I'm the opposite of you...I LOVE veggies, but don't really like fruit. I love putting them in a salad. Cucumbers, they have a really mild flavor. Tomatos of course...onions...green beans, peas, and spinach. Some of them I just steam in the steamable bags (you can do fresh and frozen in them) and eat them plain or put some I can't believe its not butter spray on them and a little pepper. Or lemon pepper is also good. I would just start with a few. Cucumbers are mostly water, so their flavor is mild and would be a good one to start with.