Really Good 'Fake Skin' Chicken

• I adapted this recipe from April's BBC Good Food. The original is probably on their website but this is a healthier version It is sort of KFC-like (though I don't like KFC but I like this!) and creates a flavourful, fake crunchy skin on skinless chicken. I've also added what the Daily Plate says the calories are so that you can see!

Sesame Chicken
    2 skinless chicken drumsticks (170)
    1 egg white (16)
    1 tbsp sesame seeds (50)
    1 tbsp flour (50)
    1 tbsp breadcrumbs (50)
    1 clove garlic, finely minced (4)
    A pinch of chili flakes/paprika/cayenne/cumin - whatever you like!

Mix the bottom 5 ingredients together in a shallow bowl.

Coat the drumsticks in the egg white and then roll in the mixture. Place on a tray you have sprayed with 1 calorie olive oil spray and put in the oven at 190 C for 30 minutes. After this, turn the chicken over and raise the temp to 200 C and cook another 20-30 minutes.

Serve with hot sauce or eat alone. They're flavourful enough not to need any accompaniment!

You could also use chicken wings or breasts for this recipe. The original called for wings but all I had was drumsticks.

The calorie count is generous - I used less than half an egg white and about 3/4 of the mixture once I had coated my two drumsticks.

I served mine with some steamed broccoli and it made a very tasty dinner for about 350 calories. Enjoy!
  • This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!