Is there a calorie based MRC menu?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I read a post from someone who thought MRC had a calorie based plan. Does anyone know anything about this?
  • The maintenance menu is basically calorie based. It is either 1500 or 1200 calorie. It gives the recommended portion size and how many portions for the day in each of the different food groups (protein, bread, veggies, starches, fats, etc.)
  • Thank you! That must be it. Nice to know I will eventually go back to counting calories. Congrats on your success!!
  • Quote: The maintenance menu is basically calorie based. It is either 1500 or 1200 calorie. It gives the recommended portion size and how many portions for the day in each of the different food groups (protein, bread, veggies, starches, fats, etc.)
    so how is maintenance working out for you? I can't even lose the last 7 lbs to get to my goal. sounds like you are doing well. Hopefully I will be there someday soon..

Cheers!

Ronnie
  • Quote: Thank you! That must be it. Nice to know I will eventually go back to counting calories. Congrats on your success!!
    Thank you, Helen. MRC has been a great program for me. Good luck to you!

Quote: so how is maintenance working out for you? I can't even lose the last 7 lbs to get to my goal. sounds like you are doing well. Hopefully I will be there someday soon.. Cheers! Ronnie
    You will be soon, Ronnie. Maintenance has been going well. I'm still drinking lots and lots of water and only occasionally have an HNS. I am maintaining at 5 pounds above what my goal weight was - It is the weight I was at from 6th grade until we tried to get pregnant. Someone here also said after you stop 'losing' your body adjusts a bit higher due to water, like when you first start to lose, you lose 'water-weight', at the end you gain that back, so for me, maintaining at 140 is just right. It is where my body wants to be and it isn't too skinny (although I don't have that round butt my DH loved, and my breasts look more my real age than the age I feel) I'm real pleased and happy.

jeanette
  • Quote: Thank you, Helen. MRC has been a great program for me. Good luck to you!

You will be soon, Ronnie. Maintenance has been going well. I'm still drinking lots and lots of water and only occasionally have an HNS. I am maintaining at 5 pounds above what my goal weight was - It is the weight I was at from 6th grade until we tried to get pregnant. Someone here also said after you stop 'losing' your body adjusts a bit higher due to water, like when you first start to lose, you lose 'water-weight', at the end you gain that back, so for me, maintaining at 140 is just right. It is where my body wants to be and it isn't too skinny (although I don't have that round butt my DH loved, and my breasts look more my real age than the age I feel) I'm real pleased and happy.

jeanette
    Glad you are doing well.. I will get there soon.. I can't wait! Keep up the good work..

Cheers!

Ronnie
  • Quote: The maintenance menu is basically calorie based. It is either 1500 or 1200 calorie. It gives the recommended portion size and how many portions for the day in each of the different food groups (protein, bread, veggies, starches, fats, etc.)
    I just started maintenance and got the 1200 calorie plan. Do you know how do they determine who gets 1200 and who gets 1500? Just curious. Also wanted to tell you about a great site to keep track of your calories that I found. It is sparkpeople.com and I've been entering my food in there as food diary.
  • Quote: I just started maintenance and got the 1200 calorie plan. Do you know how do they determine who gets 1200 and who gets 1500? Just curious. Also wanted to tell you about a great site to keep track of your calories that I found. It is sparkpeople.com and I've been entering my food in there as food diary.
    1200 calories a day...wow! That still sounds like a diet, huh? I didn't realize calories would still be so restricted. BTW, how much weight did you lose during stabilization?
  • from what I understand
    Hi all, I'm new here just started MRC. What they told me was they ease people on to stabilization so maybe the 1200 cal menu plan is the beginning of that process.
  • Quote: 1200 calories a day...wow! That still sounds like a diet, huh? I didn't realize calories would still be so restricted. BTW, how much weight did you lose during stabilization?
    I had the same reaction. Actually it's a BIT more than you'd think. A lot like stabilization but looser. I was lucky--I lost another 5 pounds on stabilization. They said though not to expect to lose any over stabilization. So wer're all different. I lost weight VERY SLOWLY throughout the plan so this was a nice bonus at the end.
  • Quote: Hi all, I'm new here just started MRC. What they told me was they ease people on to stabilization so maybe the 1200 cal menu plan is the beginning of that process.
    Oh that sounds WONDERFUL....I hate to get my hopes up though....I'll try to get my head around 1200.....
  • Taylor 5568 BL Biggest Loser Scale
    Check your Tanita printouts. They tell the number of calories to maintain that weight at the bottom. I was fortunate to purchase a scale that is similar to the Tanita. My scale is made by Taylor, sold as a Biggest Loser product (google: Biggest Loser 5568BL ). I paid $27 at BJ's Warehouse but Wal-Mart sells it for $34.

It tells me my weight, percentage of fat, water and lean muscle, BMI and number of calories needed to maintain that weight. I weigh myself first thing in the morning (after using the toilet) and last thing before I go to bed.

I got it last July and when I started stabilization it said I needed about 1300 cal to maintain. I was given the 1200 cal menu but no one said I should eat just a little more. I do not keep real close tabs on the number of calories I'm taking in but I have been maintaining right in that same range for 4 months now. I keep a spread sheet of the reading so I can see trends.

Taylor also makes a Biggest Loser nutritional scale for about $40 - wish I had that when I was weighing my food so religiously. Porchmom, I'm going to try using SparksPeople. Thanks. jeanette
  • It is good to know that a scale like that can be purchased. I think I will invest in one.. That way you always know where you stand with your weight other than just weight..

Cheers!
    Ronnie
  • I'm on the green menu now - has anyone calculated what the typical daily calories are for that?
  • I know this is an old post, but my recent encounter with my center might help. I am 35 pounds from goal and when I went in to quit the program (because I got burnt out and needed a break) I told them I wanted to just go back to eating healthy and counting calories. They told me they have a calorie counting menu, which I assume is not for maintenance since I am no where near the maintenance part. So maybe ask your center for their options of menus.