Sprained/Broken ankle, exercise ideas?!

• hey everybody! So i'm sitting at home waiting to go to the dr. to see if I have a broken ankle or just some grade of a sprain. I was doing so well on my diet and exercising almost every day! Now I feel like such a bum sitting on the couch.... I can still eat within my calorie range but cannot do my elliptical until this stupid ankle is healed. Are there any exercises I could do that do not require using my ankle some how? haha I know it sounds dumb, but I still want to work out and not be a sitting duck for a few weeks.
  • Upper body weight training?
    Swimming?
    Work on stretches everyday?
    Perhaps start a journal to keep you busy too and keep you from getting bored
  • Yep, those ideas!

If you're not in a cast after your doctor visit, swimming might be great. AND if you end up on crutches, some upper body weight training will make the crutches easier (and they'll be a lot of exercise in and of themselves). You can also work up quite a sweat punching from a chair, or even standing on one foot or supported by a chair.
  • awesome!! great ideas you guys! thanks! It turns out I have a grade 3 severe sprain, while it is bad and painful, it's not a break so I don't need a cast. I might do the swimming thing when it gets less painful and I'll definitely be trying out the other ideas you guys suggested. thanks again!
  • Pilates? Or just plain ole ab exercises on a mat? You may want to ask the doc if you are allowed to keep your legs lifted and pointing to the ceiling, etc. but I don't see why it should be too bad for short periods of time.

Oh, I just saw your last update about it not being broken so forget the suggestion about running it by the doc. I hope your ankle will get better soon!