Lapband w. small hiatal hernia?

• I've been considering Lapband surgery but I just found out that I have a small hiatal hernia. Can you still have the surgery with a hernia? Has anyone done it?

• I believe you can, they will repair it during the surgery (so I've heard). The only true way to find out is to ask your surgeon. I too have a small hiatal hernia but don't know if I had it before or after surgery.

Good luck !!!!

Leenie
  • hii soulnik! leenie's right [she's ALWAYS right]. i've heard of docs repairing HUGE hernias at the same time as surgery - so have a nice chat.

Gotta say - LOVE your hair. mine's currently just about 1/2 inch longer than yours and i am SOOO happy with it!!!
  • Thanks for the replies. I was so disheartened when I first heard the news. Now I feel better.

@Jiffypop - Thanks! I love the short hair too! Though mine tends to be 1/2 longer than the photo in the winter. It's too cold for the near bald look!
  • Yes, they repair it during the op.

For leenie, and all of you, did you know that you have to take care of you for 6 weeks after sugery or you can gat another hernia? If you take havy stuff around....so dont risk it after sugery!
  • Quote: For leenie, and all of you, did you know that you have to take care of you for 6 weeks after sugery or you can gat another hernia? If you take havy stuff around....so dont risk it after sugery!
    Yes Nomena, you are sooo right !!! my doc said NO exercise or lifting anything until I my first visit with him after surgery which was 6-8 weeks.

I can't stress enough that the first few weeks after surgery isn't about weight loss, its about healing.
  • My father did not listen and now he have to have another surgery -hernia! So - take care everyone!
  • My mom just had gastric by-pass. She has a hernia and they wouldn't repair it during that surgery but will go back after she drops some weight, most like 6 months to a year.
  • Quote: My mom just had gastric by-pass. She has a hernia and they wouldn't repair it during that surgery but will go back after she drops some weight, most like 6 months to a year.
    Ohh that's rough... poor Mama give her a big hug from us.