Dreaded Ab Exercises

• Okay...so I've started walking and I've even incorporated some light weight training for my upper body and doing some leg exercises but I just can't move myself into the dreaded abdominal exercises. And this one of my worst areas so I really need to get started!

Can anyone give me any advice on how to get started and what to do? We live in the country and there's no gym close by so I'm doing everything at home.
  • Some decent ab exercises that you can do at home are included in this information.

Of course, ab exercises will not reduce any body fat in that area. But you are already working on that by changing your diet and adding in cardio exercise!
  • Quote: Some decent ab exercises that you can do at home are included in this information.

Of course, ab exercises will not reduce any body fat in that area. But you are already working on that by changing your diet and adding in cardio exercise!
    Got to agree with this. I haven't done one sit-up and am seeing the benefits of all the running/sprinting/rock climbing. I think it best to keep on doing what you are doing. I haven't noticed on Biggest Loser anybody doing a ton of sit-ups. In fact, usually it just looks like the are doing a ton of cardio and lots of weight lifting.
  • That's great to hear! Thanks for the advice ladies.
  • I agree that cardio and other weight training are important, but come on guys.... she asked for advice on which exercise to do for her abs, not "how to lose weight around the middle in general". Yes, losing body fat is the key to losing weight, and lifting weights develops muscle in your arms and legs, and cardio burns calories, but abdominal exercises are really helpful and important as well.

Having a strong core helps your balance, your posture, helps with back problems... many exercises also improve flexibility. Plus, abdominal exercises build muscle - and the muscle in your abs helps burn more fat just like the muscles in your arms and legs!

Don't count on ab exercises to give you great abs (I do ab work daily, and my abs are extremely strong, but there is still a layer of flab covering them up....) but don't write them off as useless!
  • Nevermind.