Opinions on Walden Farms products

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • My center recommends Walden Farms for stuff like syrup, salad dressing, or marinara sauce, but when I looked at it in the store, it looked a little gross (especially the marinara sauce). If you've tried one of their products, what did you think of it? So far I've been using my normal sugar free syrup (only a teaspoon per serving, so not much), but they say that's not good to use, so I was thinking about giving Walden Farms a shot.
  • im a calorie counter i dont do MRC but from my personal opinion the stuff that i have tried is not so yummy. I would rather have less of the real stuff. I bet if you post this over in the general chatter or the foods section would prolly be better you would get a lot of responses.
  • Quote: My center recommends Walden Farms for stuff like syrup, salad dressing, or marinara sauce, but when I looked at it in the store, it looked a little gross (especially the marinara sauce). If you've tried one of their products, what did you think of it? So far I've been using my normal sugar free syrup (only a teaspoon per serving, so not much), but they say that's not good to use, so I was thinking about giving Walden Farms a shot.
    Hi Tara,

I really like the Walden Farms syrup. I use it just about every morning on my pancake. It tastes pretty similar to my other sugar free syrup. I've got 3 other friends on the program and they all like it too. I haven't tried the marinara sauce so I can't help you there. I know my mom loves the dressings. I'm not a dressing person so I haven't tried them.
  • I love the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. That's really the only product I use regularly. A friend of mine makes a good dipping sauce for boiled shrimp using the thousand island dressing + dijon mustard.
  • My mom always wanted to try them (frankly they looked pretty yucky to me, but I like so few calorie-reduced products, especially reduced that low; that I've never been tempted to try them).

One Christmas, I put together a basket for her of diet-friendly products, including several Walden Farm products. I only remember one, the scampi sauce.

When I asked mom how the products were, she said they were not very good at all (which if she didn't like them, I concluded they were hideous, because she has a much higher tolerance for reduced-calorie products and artificial tasting ingredients than I do).
  • I'm not a huge fan of the salad dressing..But.. it's convenient and it's edible..Has anyone tried the marinara? Because I don't like the tomato soup .
  • Quote: My center recommends Walden Farms for stuff like syrup, salad dressing, or marinara sauce, but when I looked at it in the store, it looked a little gross (especially the marinara sauce). If you've tried one of their products, what did you think of it? So far I've been using my normal sugar free syrup (only a teaspoon per serving, so not much), but they say that's not good to use, so I was thinking about giving Walden Farms a shot.
    I've only tried the salad dressings & the chocolate sauce. I like the Honey Dijon & the Creamy Bacon. The Bleu Cheese is okay. Not crazy about the Ranch on a salad, but it mades a good substitute for mayo in chicken salad or tuna salad. The chocolate syrup is okay. I haven't seen the marinara. But I was just looking on their website - now they have calorie free whipped peanut spread?? And calorie free mayo. Haven't seen them in stores yet, but I haven't looked for awhile.
    I haven't tried them in years. I remember using the dressings & didn't care for them. I think I might try them again though. I've found that most all the dressings are pretty good when I mix in my teaspoon of flax oil.

The peanut spread sounds interesting. I noticed on their calorie comparison chart though that they 'estimate' a typical pnb sandwich to have six tablespoons of pb--then they don't give quantities for their own product--I bet it's NOT six tablespoons with no calories!
  • Quote: I noticed on their calorie comparison chart though that they 'estimate' a typical pnb sandwich to have six tablespoons of pb--then they don't give quantities for their own product--I bet it's NOT six tablespoons with no calories!
    I noticed that too - I LOVE peanut butter, but even I don't put 6 tablespoons of it on a sandwich!
  • Quote: I'm not a huge fan of the salad dressing..But.. it's convenient and it's edible..Has anyone tried the marinara? Because I don't like the tomato soup .
    I'm not a fan of the tomato supplement, either. It has too much of a metal taste or something. I bought it for chili, and I ate the whole bowl that I made (mainly because I had to get in my protein), but I won't make it again. In fact, I should probably take them back to the trade basket.

I still don't really understand how this stuff is calorie free-- I mean, what IS in it? A little scary, IMO, but I, too, love peanut butter, and that might just be worth a try if it shows up on my grocery store shelf. Also, thanks for the maple syrup suggestion. I will give that a try. For now, I just use the spray dressings, so I'm not desperate for salad dressing yet.

Thanks for all the input!
  • Quote: I noticed that too - I LOVE peanut butter, but even I don't put 6 tablespoons of it on a sandwich!
    I could easily eat that much on a spoon though

I wonder how it would work in recipes that call for tahini or some kind of peanut sauce? It might be good with some stir fry veggies.
  • I have tried some of the walden farms dressings, however am not a big fan of them as dressings, i would prefer the sprays..
    HOWEVER, the 1000 Island is amazing for making a "mock" ruben. I take Sourkrout ( SP)? half of a seving of chicken( 4 or 6 oz) and half of a seving of swiss cheese (1-2 oz)and then put it all in the microwave with a couple TBL of the 1000 Island. It is wonderful!! I want to try the blue cheese one i got on my buffalo seasoned pre cooked chicken...
  • Quote: I could easily eat that much on a spoon though

I wonder how it would work in recipes that call for tahini or some kind of peanut sauce? It might be good with some stir fry veggies.
    I'm with you - on a spoon is one of my favorite ways to eat peanut butter!
  • Quote: Hi Tara,

I really like the Walden Farms syrup. I use it just about every morning on my pancake. It tastes pretty similar to my other sugar free syrup. I've got 3 other friends on the program and they all like it too. I haven't tried the marinara sauce so I can't help you there. I know my mom loves the dressings. I'm not a dressing person so I haven't tried them.
    KeepinOnandOn, I think I go to the same center as you. Where do you find the Walden Farms products?
  • Quote: KeepinOnandOn, I think I go to the same center as you. Where do you find the Walden Farms products?
    Hi Fattgirl, I go to the Bellevue center. I didn't realize you were in Nebraska! When did you start? I started pre-conditioning 9/9 and the beige menu 9/13.

I find the Walden Farms products at HyVee or Bakers. I think HyVee (Shadow Lake) has a bigger selection. They are in the health food section at HyVee and they are in with the regular dressings at Bakers. They have syrup, dressings, chocolate syrup, chocolate dip and a couple of other things at HyVee. I get my bison there too in case you are interested.