soy nuts: good ?

• Are soy nuts good or bad for health ? Would they make a great protein source ? Are they too caloric ? Are they too rich in fat ?
  • Depending on what plan you're on they can be a great addition. The thing you have to be very careful about is portion control. I like them myself, however, I keep a container with a single ounce serving beside the bigger container. I only take the small container, and refill it only when I'm not hungry (just after dinner is good).

Calorie counts will vary, but dry-roasted are usually about 130 cals / oz. Flavoured ones can contain different oils and obviously the added items to flavour them. They can be as high as 150 cals. I just checked calorieking and dry roasted info (per 1/4 cup or ounce - weigh them though):

128 cals (6.1g fat, 9.3g carbs, 2.3g fiber, 11.2g protein)

Oh, I didn't answer any of your other questions because I don't usually look at specific foods as good/bad too high/too low. I count calories and at the end of the day I look for a balance in what I eat.
  • I've been wanting to try them! But haven't found them yet (except chocolate covered at Trader Joe's). I think something hot/spicy would help me with portion control.
  • I used to have a lot of problems with controlling my intake. I can't say I've seen any hot enough to slow me down though. That's why I came to the preportioned containers. I do the same usually with almonds (ie. there's one of each in the pantry).
  • Quote: I used to have a lot of problems with controlling my intake. I can't say I've seen any hot enough to slow me down though. That's why I came to the preportioned containers. I do the same usually with almonds (ie. there's one of each in the pantry).
    I'm a lightweight when it comes to heat .
  • I've had wasabi soy nuts before, they are pretty good.
  • Soy nuts are yummy and I believe I saw a study that said they may help lower blood pressure, but it was only one study, so too early to tell I think. Regardless, I think they can be a healthful addition to any diet in moderation. Just make sure, like with all nuts, that they are dry roasted and not fried.
  • Lots of studies have said soy is good for you, but i you have thyroid problems avoid soy as much as possible. Soy can block the uptake of your medication and block thyroid hormone uptake. It was something I didn't know until I had thyroid cancer. I just want to make sure everyone knows the soy had nothing to do with the cancer.