The blood that we donate weighs 1.5 lbs

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, I did my bi-monthly duty on friday and donated blood.

The nurse told me that around 430 mls (the amount you donate) of blood weighs 722 grams (around 1.5lbs)!! That is something I never knew!!

Anyway, when I stepped on the scale this morning, I actually weighed 1 lb less than yesterday morning!!

I don't know if donating blood made the difference (I know that the blood is replaced in you body within 24 hours), but if it did - who would have thought that doing something good can make a difference in my weight.

I guess that I and whoever receives my blood (if anybody) actually gain from the experience.

Here is to all other blood donors out there -
  • That is good to know SNOOZLES

Angie told me earlier today that I actually got a call this week from the blood bank telling me I was eligible again. They love me there 'cause I am O negative.

I give often but wasn't able to for a year, due to getting a teeny-tiny bone graft during some minor gum surgery.
  • That's interesting! Though, we do replace that blood over time -- it's not the same as losing fat.
  • Quote: That is good to know SNOOZLES

Angie told me earlier today that I actually got a call this week from the blood bank telling me I was eligible again. They love me there 'cause I am O negative.

I give often but wasn't able to for a year, due to getting a teeny-tiny bone graft during some minor gum surgery.
    They love me too. (O Positive)

I usually give blood 2-3 times per year.
  • Quote: That's interesting! Though, we do replace that blood over time -- it's not the same as losing fat.
    Thanks for sapping the joy right out of that one for us HEATHER
  • Well, I can inject some more joy back into it. It's the only time where you can lose a pound the next morning, after having a big jug of Gatorade and a bag of cookies/crackers from the Blood Drive.
  • I'm not allowed to donate blood here, i wish i could. Good on every one who donates regularly!
  • Quote: Thanks for sapping the joy right out of that one for us HEATHER
    Yeps, I am a joysapper!! Just tryin' to inject some realism!
  • lol....
    id love to donate blood....
    shame i hate needles....
  • I never knew that...very interesting. I gave blood a couple of weeks ago.
  • Quote: lol....
    id love to donate blood....
    shame i hate needles....

Well, I don't think that anyone LIKES being stuck with a needle...but it is a small price to pay, to know that you could save up to 4 lives with each donation.

My father had to have blood given to him in an emergency situation when I was a teenager. I have given ever since.
  • I can't donate at this time, but I used to and will do so again. They used to call me every 6 weeks and sometimes for specific people. I'm A- and I've never had RSV (I think that's what I've never had) so I can donate to babies.
  • I don't always see a change on the scale the next day when I give blood. Depends on how much I hydrate the day before.

I give 6x per year - and they gave me a nice Champion for Life pin for being a 6er. That was nice. I am donating this Friday, and hope to get 6 times in again this year.
  • Quote: I can't donate at this time, but I used to and will do so again. They used to call me every 6 weeks and sometimes for specific people. I'm A- and I've never had RSV (I think that's what I've never had) so I can donate to babies.
    It's CMV (cytomegalovirus) that you have to be negative for to donate to babies.

Another point - According to the Mayo Clinic, you burn 650 calories by donating one pint of blood. That's a nice little bonus!!
  • I'm not allowed to give blood anymore due to my diabetes (type 1). I used to give a lot, even though I hated needles. I'm quite used to them now, and don't feel the pain they used to cause. I would love to give blood again (o+), but it seems that my blood is tainted with enough sugar at times to kill a goat :/

Trying to diet and control diabetes at the same time is really hard