How does one count calories???

• Hi Calorie Counters...

This sounds like a great idea, but how in the world do you know how many calories are in your food these days?? Of course the obvious labeling, but what about meals you make?? Or eating out?? Is there somewhere I can find a chart or book or something that makes this easier??

Thanks!!

A.
  • www.fitday.com

www.thedailyplate.com

www.calorieking.com

Libraries have calorie counting books.

Restaurants often have their information online.

Best of luck and
  • Many popular restaurants are listing their nutritional info online! Whenever I know I am going out to eat, I make sure I know where and look up all the info I can and know what I am going to order so there is no element of surprise. Red Robin has by far the BEST nutritional guide. You can basically pick your item of choice, delete ingredients [cheese, meat for example] or add ingredients and sides and the site automatically calculates the nutritional info! It's amazing how much altering your food for the better can change calorie count. Remember, so NO to cheese, always ask for dressing on the side, and stay away from the bread basket as hard as it sounds.

You can always find tons of "survival guides" to eating out at certain restaurants [ex. mexican, italian] using a search engine.

Lastly, when preparing your food at home you should read all the labels, measure proper serving amounts, and become very familiar with your Nutrition Label.

good luck!
  • Another great site is dietfacts.com. They have nutritional information for many chains and brand names. You can also import the info from dietfacts into your fitday diary.

Welcome!
  • Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have a big, fat paperback with the calorie counts of just about anything you can think you might want to eat. Including a lot of restaurant and fast food fare. And quite a few things I know I would never eat. Brains, anyone? Anyway, it is a wonderful resource. I also pay close attention to labels and if I do eat out, I check my book and the website for nutritional info. If I can't find it, I don't go there.

Counting calories is about learning proper portions and the calorie counts of everything that passes your lips and keeping track of it all. It sounds a little daunting, at first, but it gets easy pretty quickly and becomes a habit.