Problems Adding OWL Foods?

• At first I was going to post this on the Maintainers thread. But I think this is a question specifically for low carb maintainers.

I don't consider myself out of induction because although I eat 25g-35g carbs, I restrict my food choices to Induction acceptable foods only. But the first time I did Atkins, I couldn't make the switch from Induction to OWL and add other foods.

Right now oranges are in season here but I know I am not ready to add any fruits back to my diet. I'm sure by the time berry season rolls around here in June, I'll be close enough to my goal to have a few of those a day, if I don't lose my mind and have a binge fest.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had that problem switching from Induction to OWL and adding OWL acceptable fruits without cravings and binges returning?
  • Just wanted to say Congrats on your loss so far ! You are doing fantatic! I wish I was close enough to goal to start worrying about this.
  • You've come just as far. Congrats to you, too. BTW, I don't feel that close, but I don't like being ignorant [ha, ha]. So, I am trying to prepare myself.

Oh, and I just love your little stuffed animal. Is it yours? Did you make it?
  • Thank you ! Yes, It's always better to be prepared in advance. Knowledge is power! I did make the animal, from a pair of socks.
  • ooops double clicked.
  • Syl: How about trying just a section of orange? One of the few things I have had a craving for is apple or orange juice so I know of what you speak! I open that fridge everyday and NOTHING TEMPS ME except...the big bottle of apple or or orange juice that I have in their for DD.

SC
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Apples [except granny smith], oranges and their juices don't do it for me. I like melon, berries and persimmon. And they have to be in season or they taste unripe to me. Actually, right now I'm not having any cravings at all. And I think I'm just so focused on getting to goal that alone is killing my cravings. I really just want to be ready for when I am about 10-20 pounds from goal and I add some of the OWL foods.
  • Hi Sylvia,

In my opinion, the key to progressing successfully to OWL (as well as all the phases of the Atkins lifestyle) is to follow Dr. Atkins instructions precisely.

Dr. Atkins designed OWL, On Going Weight Loss, to be exactly that...a continuation of weight loss at the optimal carb level (CCLL, Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing) for you personally. He stresses again & again the weight loss will be slower than it was while doing Induction. OWL allows you more food choices. This means determining a personalized way of eating based on the rules & the foods Dr. Atkins outlines in the book.

It is important to adhere & progress according to the carb ladder:
    The OWL Carbohydrate Ladder
    Vegetables
    More salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list
    Dairy
    Fresh cheeses:
    Cottage cheese
    Farmer’s cheese
    Ricotta cheese
    Pot cheese

Keep portions small for:
    Hard aged cheese
    Cream, heavy and light
    Half and half
    Sour cream
    Low-carb ice cream, yogurt, and milk

Seeds and Nuts
    Macadamias
    Almonds
    Peanuts/Natural Peanut Butter
    Coconut
    Sunflower seeds
    Sesame seeds
    Walnuts
    Pistachios

Berries
    Eat frequently from:
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Blackberries
    Raspberries

Eat moderately from higher AGR (Atkins Glycemic Ranking) melons:
    Watermelon
    Honeydew
    Cantaloupe

Wine and other spirits low in carbs
    Spirits
    White Wine
    Red Wine
    Low-carbohydrate Beer

Legumes
    Lentils
    Kidney Beans
    Pinto Beans
    Black Beans
    Hummus
    Chickpeas
    Tofu
    Soybeans
    Soy milk, unsweetened

Fruits other than Berries and Melons
    Plums
    Kiwis
    Peaches
    Apples
    Grapefruit
    Tangerines

Starchy Vegetables
    Keep all portions small
    Carrots
    Green Peas
    Acorn squash
    Butternut squash

Eat rarely:
    Corn
    Potatoes
    Sweet potatoes

Whole Grains
    Keep all portions small and focus on whole, unprocessed grains:
    Old fashioned Oatmeal
    Oat Bran
    Wheat Bran
    Low carb (soy) bread and muffins
    All-bran
    Barley, cooked

Each rung means adding 5 additional carbs, 3 times for the first week & monitoring yourself for any changes. You really need to give it an entire week as a few days may not be enough to determine correctly how a certain food may affect you.

Skip a rung only if you plan on not eating from that particular food group. For example, if you have dairy allergies, you may want to skip that rung entirely.

For fruits & vegetables, the more color, the more nutrition. In other words, red grapes have more nutrition than white. Be careful of dried fruits as they concentrate the natural sugar and could essentially cause a small piece to have as many carbs as the entire fruit.

Basically...OWL is trial & error.

• We can always count on you JerseyGyrl. Thanks.

When it's my time to move into OWL, I will make sure to reread this post and read the book until I have it memorized. Dairy is definitely out of bounds for me.

I have a question, do you regularly eat foods beyond Induction Acceptable foods?
  • Quote: I have a question, do you regularly eat foods beyond Induction Acceptable foods?
    Hi Sylvia,

Glad my post was helpful to you

I keep my carbs fairly low...but...yes, I do eat foods beyond Induction acceptable foods. I enjoy ricotta cheese with a little Splenda & some DaVinci's with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I eat yogurt regularly for breakfast (along with a hard boiled egg & 2-3 links of breakfast sausage). I'm very careful with nuts due to portion control. I do occasionally have raw,natural almonds or walnuts. In the Summer, when in season, I enjoy blueberries (in my greek yogurt) frozen. I also enjoy chickpeas in my salad. As far as whole grains....to be honest, I am not a lover of oatmeal, bran, soy or barley so, I've pretty much stayed away from all of those things. My diet is pretty basic with the emphasis on veggies & salads.

Follow the carb ladder...add things gradually & see how it effects you.

All the best to you!!
  • Jersey you are a wealth of information and a true mentor. Thank you.

How many carbs do you normally eat in a day now?
  • Quote: Jersey you are a wealth of information and a true mentor. Thank you.

How many carbs do you normally eat in a day now?
    Thank you for your kind words Michelle It's always nice to hear my contributions on this board are appreciated.

As far as my daily carbs, in a few weeks, I'll be on Atkins 4 years I keep my carbs fairly low...usually 35-40. I concentrate on mainly veggies & salad. I eat 2 salads everyday.....a bigger one for lunch & a small one for dinner.

All the best to you!!!