Cardio before or after weight training?

• Does it matter if you do cardio before or after weight training?

--Sara
  • Hi

I'm interested in this questions as well.

I've had 2 gym instructors on 2 different guys and they both have different views on this.

Any help appreciated
  • I think you're supposed to do a little light cardio (like 10 minutes) to warm up first, and then to do your real cardio after weights.

I always do my cardio first, however. I find that I don't have the energy for cardio if I do it second.
  • If I were preparing for a figure/posing/body building competition I'd consider maybe looking up the research, or trying to measure results objectively--in other words, I'd at least give some thought to which is the more appropriate order for my goals. When it's all part of getting healthier, though, IMO whatever works better for you is better.
  • One more opinion: I do cardio after weight training or, better still, on separate days. I want to be able to devote as much energy and effort as possible to weight training. If I'm tired when I start, I can't lift as heavy with good form.

A bit of light cardio after a lower body workout can also help reduce soreness the next day.