Hot Dog Lovers!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I love hot dogs..... but, since starting this weight loss journey, I know that a GOOD tasting hot dog requires a lot of my WW points (I looked in the WW book, and they had it listed as 5 points!!!). DH and I were at Walmart yesterday and he found "Hebrew National Beef Franks". They are SOOOO good!!!!
    For 1 dog:

Calories 45
    Fat 1.5
    Fiber 0

So, for WW people... that's 1 point for a frank!!!! YAY!!!

Today for lunch, I'm pairing that with a whole wheat bun (for 2 pts) and 1/2 cup chili (for 2.5 points), some onion and mustard for a HOT DOG GREAT CHILI DOG! WHOOHOO!

Anyway, just wanted to share!

PS, they were on sale at Walmart 2 packs for $5 (there are 7 in a pack)
  • I read about these on Hungry Girl a long time ago and bought them. I was looking for something to replace my beloved Sabretts with. I only eat hot dogs a couple times a year when I get the urge so I decided to give them a go. I thought they were a great substitue. Not as good as the original, but with mustard and relish, it was very close and satsified my twice yearly hot dog craving.
  • And the best part is that even the low-fat Hebrew National franks taste better than any other hot dog in the grocery store. I never eat any other kind. Actually, I've not had a hot dog in ages...not a bad idea.
  • My DH and I are both on Weight Watchers. We decided to try the Hebrew Nat'l hot dogs on a whim last weekend. We found a 1 pt. whole wheat bun, dressed them up with mustard and a little relish. YUMMY! I felt like I was cheating! What a find
  • I don't eat many hot dogs, but when I do, I have a Ballpark white turkey frank. 45 calories and no fat. And they're bunsize! It's the only fat-free hot dog I can stand. I've tried those "veggie" dogs before and they totally grossed me out. I took one bite and spit the bite, along with the rest of the package, into the trash. I finally just said hey, if I'm gonna eat a hot dog, I'm gonna eat a HOT DOG. And the Ballpark white turkey franks are really yummy, especially when you throw them onto the grill. Nothing better than a grilled hot dog, in my opinion.

I've been wanting to try those Hebrew Nationals but have never found them.
  • I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store that didn't carry Hebrew National dogs. Look again! Where I live now has a negative jewish population and all the stores still carry 'em.

And they're yummy. I'd eat them if I decided that my maintenance weight was double what it is right now.
  • Quote: I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store that didn't carry Hebrew National dogs. Look again!!
    I have, I have, I swear! And I can't find the danged things.

Are they even kept in the hot dog section???

I've been looking for them ever since I read about them on Hungry Girl.
  • I am in LOVE with Oscar Meyer Turkey weiners. They taste just like good old fashioned hot dogs, but are also just 45 calories each!! I can eat 2, on light buns and feel like a party animal at a BBQ but still feel amazing!!!
  • I don't care for hot dogs but I see hebrew national franks in Costco as well.
  • Merita brand also makes a light whole wheat bun that is 80 calories and has somewhere around 4g fiber, too - I always eat these with my light hot dogs, when I get my twice years hot dog craving. I buy them at Walmart.
  • Okay, I found the Hebrew National hot dogs and they're 170 calories a piece.

What's so great about that?
  • http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chew....php?isid=1108

I went and did a search at Hungry girl, apparently they have multiple versions, one with 50 calories. She also had a recent article about Hoffy brand which have 45 calories per dog.
  • Quote: Okay, I found the Hebrew National hot dogs and they're 170 calories a piece.

What's so great about that?
    You must be looking at the regular ones. We buy the 97% Fat Free Hebrew National Dogs.... 45 cal. each. I didn't mention this in the last post because I didn't know that there were 2 different kinds until we went through round 2 of them....
  • Thanks, guys. My store must only carry the regular ones, then, because those are the only ones I found.

But that's okay. I've taken a liking to the Ballpark White Turkey franks. Those too are only 45 calories and no fat.
  • I just tried these for the first time today....SO GOOD! I totally felt like I was cheating!