How do I bake moist, healthy chicken breasts?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I am a seriously bad cook! I would like to bake ahead since it's always so hard for me to get protein in.

Do you spray it with something or cook it in a liquid??

Thank you!

And, please give oven temp and time, I am that bad!
  • Hello!

I'm not sure that you want to do this...but I have had really good luck with the George Foreman grill. I could never bake chicken so it was...edible...until the Foreman.

This is my first post here (this isn't an ad...) and I'm glad to be here!

Started the low-carb thing in mid-March. Down 22 as of today!

Hope this helps.
    K.
  • We have one and I have never used it! Thanks!!

Do they go in raw and thawed?
  • second on using the foreman - put them in raw and thawed.
  • I also use my George Foreman for chicken. I usually pull a piece from the freezer (since I'm on my own, I buy the chicken breasts that are in individually sealed packs) and throw it in with some Italian dressing before I leave for work in the morning. Then when I get home all I have to do is slap the chicken breast on the GF.
  • I buy individually frozen chicken breasts in a 2.5 to 3 lb. package (they are coated with ice). I don't know if that's why they are so moist but they are easy to grab the amount you need without thawing out a whole package. I also cook them in my George Foreman but defrost them in the microwave first. I have also cooked them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 min. with 97% fat free cream of chicken soup mixed with 1/2 can water poured over them or cut them up for stir-fry with veggies and brown rice. They are my go-to meal when nothing else is ready.
  • I like the Forman, but I also like to pouch cook mine. I just put the chicken in a piece of aluminum foil, along with a tiny (like 1/2 or 1/4 teaspoon) bit of olive oil and I like to throw veggies in too. The chicken can be frozen or thawed, same with the veggies. Fold the aluminum foil over so it makes a pouch and throw it in a 400 degree oven. Normally it takes about 45 min, but comes out so moist and juicy. I often throw some seasoning in the pouch too, which ends up just soaking in the chicken, or you can marinate the chicken ahead. Yum..
  • Thank you all so much. I have the thing preheating now. It's my daughters and it's hot pink. lol
  • Christine,
    Thanks for that idea! I like the possibilities!

Plus, I think it would work better for my marinated chicken. Has anyone else noticed that the Foreman tends to burn the chicken a little when it's marinated?

Glad you're all set, Hocus! A pink Foreman! I'm jealous.
    K.
  • i throw them on the grill frozen... but you can do them raw and thawed
  • I've never done them frozen. Good to know!
  • When I use Teriyaki mainade it burns pretty bad but I like burned stuff I guess, so I don't mind it. I've never seen a Geoge Foreman in color.
  • I always burn my marinated chicken on the foremen, so I always pouch it. I like the pre-portioned chicken that comes pre-marinated by perdue. It's delicious.
  • I just tried it and it was so easy and good. Great tips here.
  • The secret to moist chicken is DON'T COOK IT TOO MUCH! Seriously--overcooked chicken is dry and hard as a rock. Bleh.

Thaw out your chicken, trim it, then slap it in a pan that's been sprayed with Pam or something like that. Cook at 350 for 35-40 minutes, then take it out and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes before serving. Food will continue to cook for a few minutes after you take it out of direct heat. If you're nervous, cut into the thickest part (generally near the middle) and see if it's done all the way through. This will give you cooked chicken. (I'm assuming boneless/skinless here. Cooking times will vary with the addition of bone/skin.)

As for what to do with it...there's lots of possibilities. Pour your favorite spaghetti sauce over it, add veggies if you want. Add BBQ sauce. Marinate it first. Sprinkle with any available spice mix. (Emeril does nice ones, as does...what...McCormick? In the spice aisle at the grocery store they're generally underneath the big individual spice rack.) Add potatoes/parsnips/carrots/onions and a bit of chicken broth then cover the pan with foil for a "chicken pot roast" effect. Or cook the chicken plain, take it out, and THEN add to it. Play with it and have fun.