5'8" -ish girls, what's your ideal weight? Indulge me. :)

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I have my goal at 140, but I want to see how I look at 150 to see if I want to go smaller. I am a classic pear shape and my lower half is riduculous. I can wear medium or small shirts but am a firm size 14 on my bottom half. I also have a large frame, which doesn't help me in the slightest because, even at my smallest (going to say low 160s) I was still much larger than my friends who were 10 or 20 pounds heavier than me. Darn my genetics. All of my ancestors were farmers! >.<

Dhani
  • I am 5'8 and my goal weight is 145lbs. I am currently 190lbs and I plan to lose 45 more pounds. I was 145 when I graduated high school and I was in great shape.
  • I've tenitively set my goal weight at 155 as it seems a safe distance under the top end of the healthy range, so that my fluctuations don't send me in and out of the overweight catagory. But I really don't have a freakin clue. I haven't been under 200 since I was 15 (and more like 5'6 1/2). So I figure I'll feel it out when I get there. Maybe I can lose more, maybe 155 is too low?
  • My goal weight is 141, because (this is maybe a little weird?) I had a trainer once whose BMI was 21.7 and I thought she was the fittest, most fantastic-looking person, and I want to know what I would look like at that BMI--which works out, with my height and frame, to 141-ish.

But I've also had the number "148" in my head for a long time--it's what my mother, who's similarly proportioned to me, weighed when she was married and she looked unbelievable--still very curvy (we're a chesty family!), just... wonderfully *healthy*.

Now, at ten pounds over that upper goal--158--I definitely still have some fat I want to lose in my thighs, calves, and belly, especially. Being tall is good, though, right? We look *longer* with our fat; I think I look fairly lanky in my size 10 jeans (which slim my thighs somewhat). I've changed sizes only every twenty pounds or so, thus far; so I'm hoping for a classic size 8 to cap off the journey in the 140s.
  • It's crazy how different our sizes are at similar weights and heights. I'm 5' 8.5" to 5'9" as well....and at around 140 I wear a size 2 or 4 in jeans and a small shirt.
  • You most likely have a small frame if you are wearing sizes that small! : )

Dhani
  • I'm 5'7" and My goal is 135, but I've got a very odd build. I'm early twenties and three years ago I was at my lowest weight at 125. That still didn't look too thin on my because I have broad shoulders and a large chest (even at that weight I was a 34DD and wearing size medium shirts). I think it just depends on how you carry your weight. Right now I'm 165 and I've polled random people about how much they think I weigh and they've all said higher than that.
  • My goal is 20% body fat or a smidgen under. Here's a link to calculate one's body fat:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
  • But have up tried to read those calipers they are really hard to read those little lines ans figure them out?
  • I'm at 148 now, and it's hard to lose because I think my shape is pretty nice, overall (at a little over 5'7"). Except that I'm a true hourglass and carry weight in my arms and legs, which makes me want to get down to 140/135 so I can look "skinny" in normal, not fitting tight around the waist clothes! But I think 140-150 is a great weight for those around our height!
  • Quote: You most likely have a small frame if you are wearing sizes that small! : )

Dhani

I've realized that now, but forEVER my "excuse" for being bigger was that I could NEVER be thin because I was "big boned." I didn't try to lose weight because there "was no reason because I'm big boned."

Who woulda thunk it?

And now NOBODY believes I weigh 140 at all. I'm about to buy a big purse and stick a scale in it for every single time someone comments that I've lost too much, just so I can whip it out, put it down, step on it and show them I'm in a healthy range still. Not really, but it's an idea...
  • little taller but..
    I'm a smidge over 5'10" The best shape of my life I was around 155 - 160. Doubt I will see that number ever again, but my current goal is 170. I don't think your goal is unreasonable.
  • I am going to answer again because my goal has changed once again. When I first answered this post in July I weighed about 148 and my goal weight was 140-145. I am now 144.5 but I think 140 is my final goal. I am working hard at toning now and I am still working on getting my belly down a bit. That is what is making me look bigger than I am and if I could get it down even just a bit it would make a really big difference in how I look and feel.
  • I am 5'8" and my normal weight is 130 at a size 4/6. I just had my 3rd baby so I am working at getting back down to 130 yet again I look and feel my best when I am 130, I think the right weight has a lot to do with body frames, I would say I have a medium sized frame.
  • The frame sizes vary too though! Per the elbow method I am a small frame, but with the wrist I am a medium frame. But my ankle bones are huge, like 13 inches. So how are you supposed to go based on that if you get a different result depending on your body part?