Dinner in a PUMPKIN! I LOVE THIS IDEA!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Oh my....all those ideas sound super yummy! I'm going to have to try them all. I'm having 'spaghetti' tonight, made with spaghetti squash with chicken breast. mmmm
  • Primm - I use precooked rice. I usually put some of the same seasonings I am using in the entire dish in the water with the rice while it cooks.
  • Thanks. I wonder if it would work with raw rice though - would the pumpkin be waterproof enough to put stock/water + spices in there as well do you think?

May have to do some experimenting! Although I bought a rice cooker last month - best investment ever. So it's not like cooking rice is a chore anymore.
  • I LOVE my rice cooker. I don't just cook rice in there either. With the pumpkin though, I think it would probably hold the liquid just fine if you wanted to try it that way. If you do try it let us know how it goes.
  • That acorn squash idea sounds really amazing!! What recipe do you use?
  • I do this as well every fall with different variations on the ingredients and it's always a big hit! Most recently, I tried a version from the Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook with dry mustard, lean ground bison, green onion, and wild rice. It was delicious. I usually don't stuff with meat but had to try this one b/c it looked yummy, it was!
  • I used pumpkins for my annual Halloween party last year. I did something similar to the dish you named in a larger pumpkin, and I made a vanilla custard in a small pumpkin. It keeps well with American tradition. Pumpkins used to be stuffed with food all the time in colonial days.