3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   SBD Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions-115/)
-   -   Here's One I bet you haven't been asked (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/92708-heres-one-i-bet-you-havent-been-asked.html)

gma22 08-30-2006 02:39 PM

Here's One I bet you haven't been asked

I have to "trick" my husband into eating things sometimes that I know he would like if he would just open his mind a bit. My question is, do the whole wheat pastas keep their darker color after cooking? I know that even though they might taste delicious, he would frown and not eat it. He is a meat and potatoes man, but I am working on him becoming more of a meat and veggies man. It is hard work though! :lol:

Faye

Trinity1004 08-30-2006 03:44 PM

Yes they do keep their color. My husband is a pasta lover and was not to happy when I served him the whole wheat instead. However he didn't complain and went back for seconds. Trust me he'd tell me if he didn't like it, I've heard a lot of complaints since my dieting has changed the dinners I make for him as well. Worth the try... he might like it too! Good Luck!

Barb0522 08-30-2006 04:31 PM

It might help too if you use a darker sauce like a spaghetti sauce that covers the color up some. My husband and son eat the pasta just fine but they did have to get used to it. Make sure you cook it enough since the cooking time is a little longer than regular pasta.

Ruthxxx 08-30-2006 04:54 PM

I prefer the nutty flavour of whole wheat. Dark sauce might be a good disguise. Maybe squid or cuttlefish cooked in its own ink? I don't have a recipe offhand but.....
JUST KIDDING but there is a Japanese soup called Ika Sumi Jiru, Squid ink soup! It really is black.

gma22 08-30-2006 06:15 PM

Geez Ruth, I can't get him to eat tan colored pasta and I am supposed to get him to eat squid.....:rofl: His seafood choices are fried shrimp and salmon once in awhile. OH and he likes Long John Silver. See where I am going with this. :lol:

Thanks for all your input.

Tara D 08-30-2006 06:30 PM

I'm just making the switch to healthier pastas, and many people on this forum recommended Barilla Plus, a multigrain pasta. It tastes really good, without an oppressively wheaty taste, and it's still got a more pale color. I'd try this with your husband. It's got extra protein and fiber. From the first day, I preferred it over regular pasta. He probably will not notice this switch nearly as much as the straight up whole wheat. Yummy.

Barb0522 08-31-2006 10:52 AM

I seem to recall that Barilla Plus had something that wasn't ideal. Hmm. I'm not sure. We normally use the Hodgson Mill whole wheat pastas and they are good. I also use the O Organics whole wheat penne rigate. In both cases the only ingredient is whole durum wheat flour (it's just organic in one brand).

I've made lasagna for parties using the Hodgson Mills brand and every bit disappears.

carolr3639 08-31-2006 11:01 AM

I don't think ww pasta is all that dark once it's cooked. It seems to lighten with cooking. But any white flour person would notice. I make a goulash with ww macaroni and noone in the family even notices.